3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Having read some of the other reviews for my cruise I feel it must just be me and as such I am going to just keep this factual. Where to start, well we arrived at Southampton with happy heart looking forward to the trip. We cruise often and done the transatlantic crossing before and love sea days. Our allocated boarding time was 1pm and we turned up on time. The queue we had to join took almost two hours to get through. Even though the terminal is called the QE2 Cunard stated that the boarding was nothing to do with them and conducted by the port agents. Funny but when we boarded the Queen Victoria in June a similar occurrence meant we were standing around for a similar time. Anyway once on board we went to our cabin. A club balcony cabin on deck 12. Looking forward to the re-mastered interior. The brochure stated a complete refit. Well we did have new carpet and bed. The rest was as it was before except better. On entering the room it looked like it was snowing there so many white paint splashes on the balcony windows. The balcony door handle didn't work properly and had to be changed. The balcony floor and furniture was covered in paint splashes, white and black, and had to be sanded clean. The bathroom had a chipped sink and the toilet seat was so loose one couldn't sit properly on it and the flush popped out in your hand after being pressed. We also found that there were missing covers on some light switches. The guest relations manager who I insisted accompany me to the room looked shocked but stated that as the ship was full no other cabin was available, we were prepared to pay extra if necessary. It took three days for the faults to be rectified. The club restaurant service was good but we found the food mediocre, that of course could be just us. Bar service was so-so except for the Commodore Lounge on 9 deck which we found excellent. We had booked a Blue Note Jazz cruise with Gregory Porter as the main act. Cancelled at the last minute and replaced with Herbie Hancock. Yes it's in the small print, Cunard can change acts at any time. The ship sails well with hardly any motion and the kennels are A1. Entertainment is a personal thing so I will leave it at that. A few points for anyone reading this planning a trip. There are aspects of the ship which appear noisy when at sea. If I was every to travel on this ship again I would choose cabins in the forward section and not next to the lifts which give out a loud bell ring on arrival, Be aware of the drinks prices - look up the drinks menu on the Cunard site. All prices plus 15% service charge. The fitness centre was overcrowded nearly all of the time and the walkway around deck 7 full of runners. Felt sorry for the cabins underneath. Also if you are thinking of a grill experience look at the restaurants location, you don't look out at the sea but the walking/running walkway. Well having survived the trip I had cause to take up some matters with the parent company 'Carnival'. I will not say more other that it took a lot of time and trouble to get anywhere. All in all a very disappointing time.

A costly disappointment