3. Emerald Sun
I have just returned from a week's cruise on the Danube from Nuremberg to Budapest. This is my second river cruise. The first being on The Nile, 9 years ago. The ship was lovely. Well appointed and spotlessly clean. Our cabin was luxurious and comfortable and we received a free upgrade. Many people we met had also been upgraded which leads me to believe that this is Emerald policy if they have empty rooms - and a good one! My only criticism about the accommodation is that the lounge and dining room were not big enough for the number of people on the ship and it was difficult to fit everyone in. You were often left looking around for a table at meal times and we had to get to the restaurant early and queue to ensure that we got a table that accommodated 6 people. We chose to eat in the lounge area for lunch because it was more relaxing. Had the weather been better, I expect that the top, outdoor deck would have been utilised more relieving pressure on the other rooms but this wouldn't make any difference at dinner time and in the evenings. Food was plentiful and of very good quality but the wines on offer could have been better. We did, eventually, find a wine that suited us but always had to ask for it specifically and often wait for it to be found. It was nice to have the option to eat in the dining room or the lounge. Several members of our party chose the 20 euros per day drinks package. This was excellent value for money but, sadly, didn't include sparkling wine. Entertainment was low key. There were two external and two in-house shows. All were very good. It would have been nice to have a show of some sort after dinner each evening, too. The pianist in the evenings was excellent but little variation. Service across the board was excellent. The staff work as a team and are an asset to the company. We were invited to dine with the Captain one evening, which was a wonderful experience, and my brother-in-law, who celebrated his birthday on the same day, was made to feel special leading to a great evening. Shore excursions were good. All of the guides were helpful and spoke very good English. However, the walks were very short. Our group had an average age of 63 but found them too easy. It seemed that they were geared for older people (the average age on the ship must have been about 70). Overall, we had a great time. We saw lots and had many laughs. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't always kind to us but that's how it goes. If I were to go on a river cruise again, I would certainly choose Emerald as I know that they would give me a quality experience.

A Wonderful Week with Emerald

Emerald Sun Cruise Review by germanmist

germanmist’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Sun price drops

We were upgraded for free from a superior room to a suite. The suite was wonderful. Spotlessly clean and comfortable.