3. Oosterdam
I was not going to write a review of this trip until I saw another review and wondered were we on the same ship! Oosterdam was in excellent condition after her recent refit. Our stateroom was in good condition and ready for us as soon as we boarded in Venice, so it was drop the carry on bags in the room and up to Lido for lunch. After lunch and a glass of wine we returned to our room and our suitcases were waiting for us. We didn't see the stateroom attendants until the next day, however our room was always tidied and cleaned when we returned. Throughout the cruise top marks to our two attendants who always kept our room clean and tidy and re-towelled and also stopped for a quick chat when we were heading ashore or to dinner. Food/Dining - we always ordered breakfast in the stateroom and it was delivered on time and hot. Items were always correct and included the 'extras' we requested that were not on the order form, but which we had handwritten in. Lunch - we always had lunch in Lido so that I could access the supply of Bread Pudding. mmmmmmm! The individually made salads were great, as I could pick exactly what ingredients I wanted in my salad. Mains were ok, but most days we went to the Asian station and had great choice of tasty food. Dinner - We ate 4 times in MDR and a further 2 times in MDR on Gala nights. the other 6 nights we ate in the Lido. Food in MDR was ok, but not fantastic. Choices are much less than they used to be and portion size is smaller (though you can still request 'seconds'). Lido food for dinner was adequate - it was good to be able to mix and match rather than take the regular items. I had ordered a 7 bottle wine package on first night in MDR, but had no problem in getting a new bottle or a 'saved' unfinished bottle brought to the Lido for dinner or lunch. Entertainment - I really don't 'do' stage shows, but the Welsh woodwind player Ollie was very good. Most nights we were in BB King blues club for at least two of the three 45 minute sets. This band were great! Playing Motown/Stax/Volt/Blues/RnB etc. They really were top class. We passed by the Lincoln centre a few times and there was excellent classical music being played, however the location wasn't great as diners passing from the MDR were inclined to be chatting and disturbed the ambience. As for the Billboard On Board, I only went there for the happy hour drinks as one of the pianist was absolutely dire. We really appreciated the lack of use of the PA. Apart from the Cruise Director's morning 'Hello' and the Captain's midday update on position and weather, it was very peaceful. (and even these announcements are not heard in your stateroom!). No hard selling and no nickel and diming, unless you want to....! Ports - I will only mention a few of them...... Sarande, Albania - we were supposed to go to Kusadasi, but it was replaced with Sarande. We just walked around the town. A bit oppressed looking, reminded me of Prague in the mid 1970's. People friendly and if you bought with euros they were delighted - obviously the black market is still thriving. Katakolon - this is the port for Olympia, but we stayed in town and visited the Museum of Ancient Greek Technology. €2 admission! very interesting. The young curator (who also collected the admission money) demonstrated how some of the machines and devices worked. Would recommend a visit here. We also visited a shop on the main street with some wonderful Christmas decorations :) We really enjoyed this cruise. Staff were very good and very friendly. We booked a future cruise while on board to take advantage of the extra OBC on offer. All in All a great cruise.

Loved it!

Oosterdam Cruise Review by VMax1700

• Sail Date: September 2016
  • Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Signature Superior Verandah Suite

Ports - I will only mention a few of them......

All in All a great cruise.
VMax1700’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Oosterdam price drops

Signature Superior Verandah Suite
Cabin SS 6105
We were in a SS cabin again. We were on this ship in a SS in March (before the refit). New flat panel tv fitted and new sofa. Carpet and drapes replaced. Biggest change is bathroom, which is now bright and inviting, with a modern tile backing. Better LED lights and a blue night light in the bathroom is a great addition. Loved the separate shower cubicle.
Only negative in the new bathroom was that the corner eye level storage cabinets had been removed, but there was adequate storage under the sinks with a large drawer and a shelf.
Upper Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins