3. Carnival Pride
     This was the first time my family and I had taken a cruise (my husband and I are both 30 and we took our 9yr old son and 4yr old daughter). We decided to leave from Baltimore because we didn't have to fly. We drove there from the Eastern Shore of MD. The Carnival Pride was a beautiful ship and our balcony stateroom was awesome. Although we had nothing to compare it to. However my mom and dad also went along with us on this trip. They have sailed with Carnival before on the Glory. They said that the staff, entertainment, and food on the Pride dwarfed in comparison. I myself was a little dissapointed in the friendliness of the staff. I have heard countless testamonials from other cruisers on how amazing the staff on Carnival's cruises are. However on the Pride you could definately tell that most of them were there just to do their job. There were a couple of exceptions though. Our room steward Gede was great. We also had a very friendly bar waiter- Taufik.      The entertainment on the Pride was good. The shows were excellent. Although if you are traveling with kids, keep in mind that the show "Vroom" has VERY skimpy outfits. I'm talking g-strings. My husband didn't mind but I was glad that my 9 year old son was at Camp Carnival. My son loved Camp Carnival. He spend most of his evenings there while we were just lounging around or catching a show. They offered a wide variety of activities to keep the kids entertained. My daughter did not want to go just out of her shyness. Plus, the camp is in the very front of the boat and when she did go the first day I think it was just a little too rough up there for her. I do not get motion sickness, but after visiting the ship's arcade with the kids one evening (also in the fwd part of the ship) I felt nauseated. The Pride also offered a lot of activities for adults. Do yourself a favor and catch the men's hairy chest competition if you have never seen it before. It was a riot! I also attended one of the bingo games on board. I thought the bingo was quite expensive. They play 1 game and it is $20 for a sheet with 3 cards on it. They also offer live music on the lido deck every day. The music was ok, I just wish they would put in a new sound system or fix the one they have. The music came across screechy and very LOUD. You could not hear the people at your own table talking to you.     On this cruise my family opted out of the formal dining. All of us just went to relax and we did not want to dress up. So, the only food I can comment on is what came out of the Mermaid Grille. The food was again....just okay. They offered a different meat selection every night. However, the side dishes remained the same for the most part. Lets just say I don't want to see steak fries or white rice for a while. The cheeseburgers and hotdogs poolside where really good. Just don't go there at lunch time and expect not to wait. The line wait was about 20-25mins long between noon and 1pm. If you have a sweet tooth, they offer an awesome dessert buffet during the lunch hours. I did find the lunch meal to be better than the dinner. Especially if you want different selections.     All in all this was a great cruise. My family needed a relaxing vacation and Carnival provided it! I will definately sail with Carnival again, but on a different ship. The Pride didn't show me anything I will CRAVE to see again. I guess they just need a little more time in their new port to get it together.

Okay for a first time cruiser

Carnival Pride Cruise Review by crazymomof2

crazymomof2’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Ages 3 to 6
Ages 7 to 9
Get Carnival Pride price drops

Balcony rooms are definately worth the extra money. Roomy (for a cabin). If you smoke, this is definately a plus. Go on your balcony in your pj's to smoke. Also, if you are traveling with young children that still nap....you can get away to the balcony to give them quiet time to sleep. Whereas with any other stateroom you can't separate yourself. They also gave you great picture opportunities.
  Carnival Pride Deck Plans

• Freeport
         Our 3rd port on the cruise was Freeport, Bahamas. I was NOT impressed with this port. First of all you pull into a ship yard to dock. Not my idea of what paradise should look like. If you do not have a shore excursion booked here, do not bother getting off. There is no readily available beach when you get off of the ship. All that is on the dock is a straw market where the people were kinda rude and would heckle you. My husband, son, and Dad had a fishing trip booked for months at this port. They got off of the ship at 7:45 am to be told at 8:15am that the trip was cancelled due to wind and rough conditions. They understood, but it broke their hearts. Especially my 9yr old son that had looked forward to it for months. I will say that the staff on the dock were very accomodating by allowing them to join the excursion that my mother, my daughter, and I were going on. We had booked the Garden of the Groves and city tour. The first half of our tour took us to the Garden of the Groves. This is a beautiful place. However, I found the tour guide very boring. I would have preferred to tour it at my own leisure. This tour is certainly geared more towards senior citizens or people who are exteremely interested in information about plants and trees. Although my parents are both in their 50's and found this tour extremely boring. My mother was a floral manager in a grocery store and is an avid gardner and still felt this way. The second half of our tour took us to Port Lucaya marketplace. However, since we were with a tour we were only given an hour there. All of us were starving so of course the first thing we did was eat. That took up 20 mins so we were not left with much time to shop. Again...this is some place I would like to go on at my own leisure. All in all Freeport was not terrible but I couldn't help but wish we had visited Nassau instead.
    View All 1,343 Freeport Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Freeport Cruise Port Review
  • Grand Turk
         Grand Turk was a beautiful port. Our first stop on this cruise. When we first stepped off of the ship it looked like just a shopping day because we had no shore excursions planned. We had our 2 children with us so an afternoon at Margaritaville was out of the question. It only took us about an hour to get through all of the stores we wanted to see and we all (my husband, 2 children, my parents, and myself) were kinda like "ok...now what". I happened to see where you could rent a taxi to take you on a tour of the island. So, after dickering down the price of the tour from 35pp to 25pp we were on our way. Our tour guide / taxi driver was very friendly and informative! He made several stops along the way so we could take pictures and also sightsee. He was a lifetime local so of course he was very knowledgeable about the island and it's history. We truly had a great time on this 1-1 1/2 hr tour!
    View All 2,107 Grand Turk Cruise Port Reviews