3. Oasis of the Seas
My wife and I have gone on several cruises and decided it was time to go on one that goes to Eastern Caribbean. We looked around and found the Oasis of the Seas going to the Eastern around the time we wanted to go so we booked it. We got a Jr. Balcony suite on the 11th floor. Let me start by telling you the ship is amazing. There is a lot to do on the ship with the flow rider, rock climbing wall, zip line and carousel. We explored the ship daily and it seemed like we found new things all of the time. With all of the people on the ship I thought it would be crowded and hard to find seats for shows or a place to relax on the promenade but it wasn't. The ship has plenty of space to accommodate all of the people and not be packed in like a can of sardines. The only downfall with the ship itself was that there were a lot of international passengers on board. We like to be able to get to know people but it was a little harder when you don't speak the same language. Everyone was nice but there was a little language barrier when you tried to get to know them. In the past we have always had an interior room but on this cruise we decided to go with a Jr Suite since we were celebrating our anniversary. I think we spoiled ourselves to much on this trip. The room was great and our cabin steward Joel was very nice and took care of us. The food on board was good but we struggled with the staff at dinner time. They were nice but our main waiter wasn't scheduled to be on the boat until mid-week so the assistant waiter was the one taking care of us. On past cruises the waiter has always told us about the recommended dishes for the night. Our waiter wasn't able to do that and when we asked about dishes on the menu he wasn't able to tell us about them. The maitre d worked really hard in our area. She was helping all of the tables to make sure they were taken care of and people were happy. We went three nights and then decided to go to other places. One night we did the Windjammer and it was okay. The rest of the time we went to the Coastal Kitchen and it was really good. The service there was excellent. The first day we went to Windjammer for breakfast and the selection was good. They didn't have a fresh omelete station like the other ships do so I was a little disappointed. I asked a staff member about it and they let me know you could go to Wipeout and they had one. We went there on other days and the food selection was the same and you got a fresh omelete. We also did Johnny Rockets one morning and it was really good. They don't charge you for breakfast there. Lunch was a lot of different spots but nothing stands out. The entertainment on the ship was really good. Cats was the main show while we were on board. Besides the seating you couldn't tell the difference between Broadway and the ship. We were not disappointed at any of the shows. We had reservations for almost all of them but the ones we didn't we stood in the standby line and we were able to get in each time, even the comedy show. Our Shore excursions consisted of Island tours and going to the beach. In St Thomas we snorkeled from the beach. In St Maarten we went to Maho Beach and watched the planes land just over your head and the jumbo jets take off. It was fun watching people stand in the jet blast and see how powerful the blast is. Both islands were beautiful but my favorite was St. Thomas because it wasn't over-crowded and over developed. Our best excursion was the behind the scenes tour of the ship. It was a lot of fun seeing how the ship works and how they manage food, beverage and laundry. We also went up to the bridge where we were told how the equipment works and were able to meet the captain. The week we sailed was the same time Hurricane Mathew was in the Caribbean. When we left port I was worried that the seas would be rough and we would have to change ports. Our first port was Nassau and it was forecast to hit there. We were able to go there and then head out to St Thomas and on the way there the Captain went further east to miss the storm. On our way back to Ft Lauderdale we followed Mathew back up. The cruise was smooth all the way from start to finish.

First Time on the Oasis of the Seas