3. SuperStar Virgo
I never write reviews but felt compelled to this time. I read the reviews on Star Cruises before we sailed with them. Having cruised before in different parts of the world, I thought it would be nice to travel with an Asian cruise line through Asian countries, even though I had read some bad reviews. What a big mistake that was. We knew it would be challenging, but had no idea just how hard it would be. There were only 4 English western passengers on board and hardly any of the other 2500 passengers could speak English. We absolutely know that was our fault for booking an Asian cruiser and don't blame the cruise line for that. It was our bad luck. I just want to advise non Asian passengers to definitely don't go with this cruise line. As I said it was our fault about the language but so frustrating with the announcements and entertainment - but getting on and off for excursions etc. was complete bedlam. You just had to join in and be pushed about as seems to be the custom. All the excursions are in Mandarin but we were made aware of this before we booked, but they didn't understand any English and I just pointed to my watch to find out what time we were due back on the bus at every stop. Lol. The food was average for the buffet, with little variety. To eat in any of the 3 free restaurants, you had to line up like at a Medicare office and wait until your number came up on the screen, this sometimes took 45 minutes of waiting. There were other restaurant on board (like you get on other cruise lines where you have two sittings in the dining room and the food is top quality) but it costs a minimum of $A30 per head. We had no complaint about the ship itself. It as lovely and kept clean and polished the whole trip and they staff were fabulous. They went out of their way in be polite and assist in every way possible. We picked this particular cruise because it was sailing down to Vietnam from Hong Kong. It had longtime been my dream to go to Halong Bay in Vietnam. But hey presto, literally at the last moment they informed us the cruise had been "rescheduled" and wasn't going to Vietnam but to two islands in Japan. They wouldn't even give us any reason, just that it had been rescheduled. I read this had happened before but assumed it had been a one-off problem. Although they offered a full refund on the cruise, it was only days before we were due to leave home, so we were out of the time limit on cancellations from the the airline, the accommodation and various tours in Hong Kong, so we had no choice but to go ahead. We spoke with the captain about the rescheduling and he told us he'd been informed by past western passengers that after 30 years of travelling, this had been the worst cruise they had been on. The rescheduling isn't unusual and he joked that is why you don't see Star Cruises advertised in brochures because of their unpredictable scheduling. We asked one waiter on the last night where the next trip was going and he said they're supposed to go Japan, but might end up in Vietnam!! So my advice to any Australians planning a trip in Asia, avoid this cruise line at all costs. Not because it's a bad line but because you will not like it and like us, non-Asian speaking passengers, you'll consider it a complete waste of time and money. It definitely wasn't cheap so spend your money on Princess, Royal Caribbean or any other line as you'll have a much more enjoyable holiday.

Avoid if you're a Western traveller.

SuperStar Virgo Cruise Review by Happy Travellers.

• Sail Date: October 2016
  • Destination: Asia

Happy Travellers.’s Full Rating Summary
Get SuperStar Virgo price drops

Very neat and tidy. Linen could be upgraded, but not a problem. Not small like I had read in previous reviews.