3. Liberty of the Seas
Overall: I took this cruise during my childrens' fall break from school. Overall my wife and I as well as our 9 and 11 year old sons had a good time. Cabin 4/5 We booked two interior cabins with a door connecting the two rooms. Not every boat on every line offers this, so that's a plus for the Liberty. It was a perfect setup for a family with tweets and a little bit of extra money to spend on accommodations. With the door closed we couldn't hear the kids cartoons and they weren't kept up at niget if our TV was on. Our cabin steward was very accommodating of our unusual and constantly changing schedule. The rooms themselves were nothing notable, with the cozy space, cramped bathroom, and barely adequate TV you would expect in an economy room. The TV did seem to have a decent selection of channels, especially for kids content. IMPORTANT CABIN NOTE: The cruise critic review specifically mentions families connecting an Xbox or Wii To the TV using the HDMI input on the Samsung flat screen TV. Although our TV had an HDMI input, it was completely locked down. There was no way to switch inputs to allow us to watch our laptop on the TV. Dining 4/5 Bufet: Breakfast: First, the bad: The scrambled "eggs" were downright awful. I don't know if they were powdered or fortified with too much corn starch for fluffiness, but they tasted like cardboard. The pre-fried eggs were inconsistent and generally overcooked. The turkey sausage was borderline inedible. Also, day to day variety was lacking. Thankfully, there were some high spots. Fried eggs could be ordered and fresh cooked. There was an omelette station which consistently produced good results. Lunch and dinner dining dining was mediocre, with the exception of the Indian Food, which was very good most of the time. Meat was consistently dry and overcooked, even when buried in a stew. Vegetable options were lacking, with usually one choice on the entire buffet. On other lines I found a large portion of the main dining room menu available in the buffet, but not so here. When it was, it was dry & overcooked. The salad bar was adequate, but often lacking shredded cheese. Oddly, the lunch time buffet lacked a comprehensive cold cut & cheese sandwich station. The food at the buffet was bad enough that my impatient kids actually preferred the main dining room with its longer waits but better food. The kid items consisted of overcooked burgers, hot dogs that tasted a bit off, and pizza with unusual tasting cheese. My 9 year old LOVES pizza and hot dogs. Hamburgers are my 11 year old'sons favorite. My kids wouldn't eat any of these from the buffet. At the buffet, drinks were plentiful and the service (clearing / cleaning tables & drink service ) was very good. There was free frozen yogurt available all day poolside, unfortunately they were often out of product. That said, it's still an unexpected perk. Main dining food was good, but not great. There just weren't many options on the menu that made my mouth water with anticipation compared with other lines, such as Celebrity. I did find that the seafood options were usually pretty tasty. The lamb shank was also outstanding. I agree with the Cruise Critics review of desserts. They were very hit & miss any often bland. ServIce in the main dining room was absolutely outstanding. We were particularly difficult customers, as we had 2 kids with picky food choices and their own dining schedule (see below). We also switched our dining time mid cruise to take advantage of the kids dining program (see below). The service experts in the dining room handled everything with ease and big smiles. They even remembered our kids favorites and had them ready before they were ordered, which kept my kids dining room time to a minimum, which they appreciated. IMPORTANT DINING NOTE FOR FAMILIES: RCI offers a program where families WITH EARLY SEATING ONLY may request expedited service for the kids while the adults eat at a leisurely pace. After about 45 minutes, the kids are sent up to the kids club while the adults continue enjoying their leisurely meal (and a show or whatever else, if they want to leave their kids upstairs). It's a great program, but you MUST have early seating dining to participate, no later dining, no My Time dining. It's also worth noting that there is no charge for this service until 10pmy (seven bucks an hour after 10) Embarkation: This is never fun, right? Embarkation at the port involved a HUGE line, but it moved swiftly. We arrived around noon and we're on the boat within an hour of parking the car. GALVESTON DRIVING TIP: Instead of driving straight to port, try staying a block away from Port and driving PAST port; then approach port from the other side. This will leave you fighting with NOONE to make a RIGHT hand turn into port instead of figthing hundreds of cars to make a left turn. Disembarkation was a mess, but some of that may be due to the fact that we were 4 hours late to port due to a medical emergency on board on night 6. Most noteworthy was the system for announcing passenger disembarkation. The boat was split into over 30 groups to minimize line waits. We were told to wait wherever we were comfortable until our number was called, after which we should move to our specific waiting area to disembark. We never heard our number get called until a final warning for any remaining passengers to get off of the ship. We spoke with others who had the same experience. Somewhere RCI dropped the ball here. Once in port, the crowds were enormous and the lines long. To avoid the massive parking shuttle line, I ran from port to our car in the 90 degree heat and drove back to pick up my family and the luggage. That shouldn't be necessary. Entertainment: Overall the shows were very good. The aerial show was extremely entertaining, as was the production of Saturday night Fever. Our cruise also featured a hilarious ventriloquist from Americas Got Talent and a decent comedian. There were one or two movies nightly on the big screen by the pool, as well as NFL broadcasts. Our kids were satisfied with the on board kids club as well. There were three session per day, plus a 7 dollar per hour night session from 10pm till 1am. It was safely and efficiently run. Since our children are over 9 years old, they were allowed to check themselves in and out, which was very convenient for us. Fitness / Recreation: The fitness club was large, with plenty of up to date, TV connected equipment. The rock wall was huge and the wait was reasonable. This boat has a Flow Rider surf simitator. If this is something you are interested in, I have some tips: Use it like crazy early in the Cruise, before it gets too popular. The lines get longer over time. Consult your Cruise Compass schedule to note the session start and end times and plan to arrive early in the session. There are separate sessions for boogie boarding and stand up surfing and occasional age restricted sessions. If you plan to ride over and over, bring a book or something to do while you wait. This boat has there pool areas: a quiet adult oriented Solarium, a main pool, and a kids splash zone complete with small slides, water squirter, and the obligatory giant bucket dumping its contents every fee minutes. The solarium was quiet and never crowded. Pool side seating was extremely plentiful. We never had trouble getting a lounger. Hot tubs were also plentiful and much larger than expected. In 7 days I waited to enter a hot tub exactly zero times. NOTE FOR KIDS: They are very strict on height requirements and require not just parental consent, but the presence of a parent to use the Flow Rider. If your kids are anywhere in the 75 pound, 48-51 inch range, make sure you understand what they will & won't be able to do before you book. The shore excursions were plentiful and well run. I'll summarize each of our 3 trips: On Roatan we did the Jolly Roger sail & snorkel. The meeting area for this was on board, which was nice, and we departed on time. The lowlight of this particular excursion was the 30 minutes ridesign to the dock. At least the driver was pleasant and the van was air conditioned. The Jolly Roger catamaran is nice and large and the sail to the snorkeling spot was smooth. The snorkeling reef was only OK, by Caribbean standards. The staff was extremely helpful and understanding. One son had a problem with his mask, which was resolved on the water by a host, who was following us by kayak and had spare equipment with him. My other son had a full on freak out when he thought he saw a shark. Again, it was Mr. Kayak to the rescue, towing our son quickly back to the boat. Total snorkeling time was adequate, at least 45 minutes. Theasy ride back was accompanied by food (Delicious roast chicken), drinks (including alcohol), and music & dancing. It was great fun without feeling like a raucous "booze cruise" I highly recommend the Jolly Roger. Our Costa Maya water park excursion was called the "Aqua Adventure Water Park" and it was the highlight of our trip. This is a moderately large, clean, extremely well run water park located a 5 minute team ride away from the pier. Inner tubes were plentiful and FREE. Locker rental was 5 bucks for the day. With only one boat in port that day, we had the place to ourselves and never waited more than a minute to do anything. Every single employee who saw me asked if I was having a good time. I can't say enough good things about this park. The main slide structure was a large pyramid WITH AN ELEVATOR. This meant that all waiting for water slides was indoors, out of the sun. There were 3 levels of water slides, with 3 to 5 slides on each level. There was something for every thrill level including some extremely wild slides. Beyond the water slides, there was a lazy river that was a full 25 minutes long and included a lot of Mayan jungle themeing. My wife & kids loved it. There was also a large "relaxation pool" (with reasonably priced pool side massages) and a huge kids play structure with 8 slides, water fountains, and the obligatory giant bucket. But wait, there'should more! This park also includes a couple of zip line courses (about 45 minutes total) and an innovative "zip coaster", all of which have refreshing water landings. Zip liningrassiac@stlouis-mo.gov was also unlimited, not just one trip per person. The price for ALL of this was about the same as I'd expect to pay for a zip line excursion alone, a tremendous value. In Cozumel we visited the Dolphinarium and swam with Dolphins. The price of the excursion was OK, but be prepared to take out a second mortgage to buy pictures or a video of your encounter. INSIDE TIP: Even if you want a lot of pictures, just tell them you want to buy a few. They will offer you a discount to bus more. Another oddity of this place was the different Dolphin related activities. It was very confusing to figure out exactly what you got to do with the dolphins for a particular price. It seemed like every group in the pools did something different. Just make sure you buck up for whatever package allows you to SWIM WITH / ride the dolphins (as opposed to just petting them). It's worth it. Also included in this package was a buffet lunch, unlimited drinks with & without alcohol, snorkeling in an enclosed area with lots of fish, and kayaking / paddle boarding in open water.

A Fun Family Cruise

Ages 7 to 9
Ages 10 to 12
Get Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas price drops

• Costa Maya
    Our Costa Maya water park excursion was called the "Aqua Adventure Water Park" and it was the highlight of our trip. This is a moderately large, clean, extremely well run water park located a 5 minute team ride away from the pier. Inner tubes were plentiful and FREE. Locker rental was 5 bucks for the day. With only one boat in port that day, we had the place to ourselves and never waited more than a minute to do anything. Every single employee who saw me asked if I was having a good time. I can't say enough good things about this park. The main slide structure was a large pyramid WITH AN ELEVATOR. This meant that all waiting for water slides was indoors, out of the sun. There were 3 levels of water slides, with 3 to 5 slides on each level. There was something for every thrill level including some extremely wild slides. Beyond the water slides, there was a lazy river that was a full 25 minutes long and included a lot of Mayan jungle themeing. My wife & kids loved it. There was also a large "relaxation pool" (with reasonably priced pool side massages) and a huge kids play structure with 8 slides, water fountains, and the obligatory giant bucket. But wait, there'should more! This park also includes a couple of zip line courses (about 45 minutes total) and an innovative "zip coaster", all of which have refreshing water landings. Zip lining was also unlimited, not just one trip per person. The price for ALL of this was about the same as I'd expect to pay for a zip line excursion alone, a tremendous value.
    View All 2,660 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Zip-lining
    View All 26 Zip-lining Reviews
  • Dolphin Swim & Encounter
    On Cozumel we visited the Dolphinarium and swam with Dolphins. The price of the excursion was OK, but be prepared to take out a second mortgage to buy pictures or a video of your encounter. INSIDE TIP: Even if you want a lot of pictures, just tell them you want to buy a few. They will offer you a discount to bus more. Another oddity of this place was the different Dolphin related activities. It was very confusing to figure out exactly what you got to do with the dolphins for a particular price. It seemed like every group in the pools did something different. Just make sure you buck up for whatever package allows you to SWIM WITH / ride the dolphins (as opposed to just petting them). It's worth it. Also included in this package was a buffet lunch, unlimited drinks with & without alcohol, snorkeling in an enclosed area with lots of fish, and kayaking / paddle boarding in open water.
    View All 415 Dolphin Swim & Encounter Reviews