3. Ruby Princess
Our suite flooded on the Island Princess during a Panama transit in February. Princess initially offered $100 compensation for 2 days loss of the unit. We pointed out it cost us $1,000 for 2 days. Eventually it was upped to $250 but had to be used within a year (Their final offer). So we opted for the 4 day Coastal to get it off our books. Our favourite cruise ship entertainers, "The Pastime Duo" were taken off the Ruby early so that was a disappointment but favourite "Steve Moris" did 2 shows which was great. Food was a disappointment. Princess food seemed to be going downhill the last few cruises but the Island Princess in February was definitely going the right way, however, the Ruby was way down. Had the "Grilled Salmon" the first night. It seemed to be more poached than grilled. I'm giving it a 4/5 because it's the first time my wife and I cruised by ourselves and we're still talking to each other! LOL! Also, we booked our own private excursions which were exceptional: 6 hour $50/person Ensenada vs $179-$199 for the same shipboard excursions. It was a group of 8 organized through the CC Roll Call. Also booked our own harbour tour in Ensenada which ended up being almost a private tour as only one other couple had signed up that day on the catamaran that takes 41. They even extended the time as bookings were slow that day. Tip: We took a cab to the hotel in LA from the airport and the driver "accidentally" got lost. Of course I didn't pay him what the meter said and he ran scared as he knew I knew. Desk clerk at the hotel said a lot of LA cabbies are pulling that trick.

Taxi Rip Off Alert

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by operabob

operabob’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

• City Tour
    Booked a private excursion for 8 through CC's Roll Call. David is one of the very best tour guides I've ever encountered. 6 Hours included tour of historic hotel, time in a Mexican jail, wine and cheese tasting at a cheese farm, best fish tacos in town (according to Jenn who organized the group. She's used David several times in the past and he always tries to make each tour different for her.), best viewpoint, authentic churros, grilled corn, etc. The ship was charging $179-$199 for similar tours.
    View All 24 City Tour Reviews
  • Los Angeles
    Hotel was fine the night before but the taxi driver intentionally got lost to boost the bill. I didn't pay him the extra $15 above the original quote.
    View All 528 Los Angeles Cruise Port Reviews