3. Independence of the Seas
This was our second cruise with RC, the 1st being on Navigator of the Seas out of Galveston, so I can only compare between the two. OMG what a difference, Day 1 at sea (yes it was chilly and windy and not the Caribbean) but it looked like someone had died, the only happy person was an American in the smoking area. Pool activities (bellyflop, volleyball) were only on Day 8, there was a poolside band playing some afternoons and the big screen is always a hit. Other activities around the ship included quizzes, lots of quizzes all day, apparently us British like quizzes. The MDH and staff were great although no Lobster night, (apparently us British prefer King Prawn). Windjammer was the usual chaotic hunt for a table. The ships entertainers were great, not west end but there were some talented singers spoilt by poor sound quality, the music should be in the background with the singing projected over the top, this was the other way round, more noticeable when a violinist was playing a solo and was drowned out by the orchestra. The entertainment on day 10 was a guest Queen tribute act, I don’t expect Freddie Mercury’s voice but I do expect the singer to be able to hit the notes in tune, 1/3 of the audience walked out, those I spoke to all said he could not sing. The cruise director on I.O.S was mr wow compared to MR WOW WOW WOW on the N.O.S. He did sing on stage and I must say he has a good voice. Excursions – well they are still ridiculously overpriced, ½ day trip to Santiago approx. £70 per person (£140 for 2). I hired a car £38, fuel £15, tolls £17, saving us £70. Ok we didn’t get a guide to show us around, but who needs a guide these days, Google everywhere before you leave UK and you get everything you need. Having organised coach trips in the UK, I can get a 50 seat coach for £300 per day, Spain will be comparable to that, so even with a coach half full, that leaves £1400 for a guide. Someone is making huge profits out of cruisers. RC provide a guide with a rough map of the port with a star highlighting where the ship will berth, I even clarified this at guest services. Unfortunately no one actually checks the map is correct, one visit, the star was way out (Lisbon) and would certainly send people in the wrong direction. The only other gripe I have is that the ship did not change to local time during visits, a bit of an inconvenience as we were only told the night before. I’m sure that decision is made before the cruise even started and RC could inform guests before departure so individuals can plan their own excursions accordingly. Overall, I am not a party animal, but this cruise was pretty dull, in fact I heard JUST LIKE BUTLINs mentioned a lot over the 11 days. The only advantage of the cruise was no flying involved.

A dull cruise waiting for god

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by JungleJim42

Windjammer was the usual chaotic hunt for a table.

JungleJim42’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas price drops

Clean and tidy. must remember to close curtains when getting changed ( window overlooks promenade)
  Independence of the Seas Deck Plans