3. Viking Vilhjalm
I had been wanting to try river cruising for some time. Viking got good ratings, the Danube had the greatest appeal, and friends raved about a similar cruise to see the Christmas markets. It was a good choice. The crew was amazing. It could be 11:00 at night or 3:30 in the morning, but they were always upbeat and happy to assist in any way they could. The highlight for me was the 10 p.m. entrance into Budapest. They tried to prepare us, but it was even more magical than I imagined. I was also struck by the design of the ship. Viking clearly communicated to the architect the feedback from their passengers on what works, what doesn't, and what they'd like to see. Besides having a typical Scandinavian look, everything about the design worked. We had been told that in busy ports we might have to "double park." This was true, but it was so easy to walk across a sister ship that you almost didn't notice that you were stepping from one ship to another. I also appreciated that, in every case where we were double parked, sometime during our stay, the crews rotated the ships so that each ship got to be moored on the riverside for several hours.

Viking does everything right

AnnMcF’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Vilhjalm price drops

French Balcony
Cabin D 210
What I most appreciated was the TV monitor that showed weather forecast, today's activities, and a running account of our onboard charges. (I wear the Viking ball cap I bought onboard every chance I get.)
Middle Deck Balcony Cabins