Silver Whisper Cruise Review

To and from Russia with love!

Silver Whisper Cruise Review by BobDi

• Sail Date: Aug 2016
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Terrace Suite

There were so may high spots and the overall experience was excellent, such a special ambiance and the right balance of genuine friendliness and professionalism which made for a fabulous holiday.

We are not normally cruisers, I am 54 and have not cruised since my teens (my parents were avid cruisers). My partner gets seasick, even on a padello, and we are both the sort that likes to get involved in destinations and stay for a good few days to get under the skin of a place.

So why did we cruise this time? The attraction was the ports, particularly St Petersburg, especially as we did not need to apply for a visa (which is currently expensive and messy involving a trip to London). The other ports were all new to us and by combining a couple of nights in Stockholm and Copenhagen pre and post cruise it was irresistible.

Embarkation and disembarcation was a breeze, apart from the first morning in St Petersburg and as we were not on a trip until the afternoon this did not impact on us.

The size of Silversea attracted us, The Whisper only takes 382 guests; neither of us like big hotels and the thought of a big cruise ship filled me with horror!

We were not so sure about "all inclusive" but it was wonderful. Whilst we are not big drinkers having quality champagne, wines, cocktails and spirits as and when you wanted them was really nice. Wines were varied throughout the cruise, on the one occasion I did not like the red wine I was able to select one I had had on a previous night.

The cruise Director, Vicky was a real star and got a great atmosphere going without being over the top. We had not intended to go to shows but gave them a go and enjoyed them, some very talented singers and decent variety for a wide range of musical tastes.

The staff appeared to be a really strong team and often knew what you needed just before you did! From the room attendant, butler, Karen at the gym, waiters, bar staff and the rest of the crew service was excellent.

Food was really lovely with a decent range of options and we enjoyed all the restaurants. I am a real foodie and the range of options was really good and never too formal.

The Cabin was beautiful, spacious and although we did not have a private balcony that was fine for this cruise and we had a door out to a shared balcony. We had the natural light but at a better price. Bathroom was spacious and well equipped and there was a great walk in wardrobe.

We organised our own trips apart from in St Petersburg when it was easier to go with the organised trips. We did 3 half day and 1 evening trip and all were great. The evening at the Hermitage was particularly magical and although not a cheap option it was worth every penny. The Through the Eyes of a local was fun & Peterhof Palace was stunning.

Came back and already booked another Silversea cruise for next year!

BobDi's Full Rating Summary

Terrace Suite

Well appointed, spacious, comfortable and welcoming. Bed and bedding excellent quality.

st peteresburg symphony performance at the Hermitage

Magical, very special

View All 9 st peteresburg symphony performance at the Hermitage Reviews
Stockholm

We organised a tour with a local which was great. Hotel Eden Park Elite was in a great location

Helsinki

Used "Tour with a Local" company which was great! Interesting destination.

BobDi