3. Norwegian Star
We chose this cruise based on the itinerary and it definitely did not disappoint! As for the ship, hands down one of the greatest crews we have encountered. From our always smiling room steward all the way to the Captain of the ship (who gave a fantastic Viking talk) and a great cruise director and staff, Hi, Mark! Ship itself was in fairly decent shape, smaller (which we prefer) and didn't notice many problems. We hung out in Copenhagen for a few days prior to embarkation and didn't even touch all the things to see and do. Embarkation itself was quick and easy and we were able to enjoy a quick lunch while waiting to get to our room. We had a balcony, 10622, midship. A bit disappointed at the size of the room, seems they have become smaller since our last time on the Star (6 years ago). A definite lack of drawer and shelf space and flat surfaces for breakfast trays and computers! Very limited room service for breakfast unless you pay the fee! Room was clean, steward did a fantastic job, bed was fairly comfy but pillows left us a bit flat, literally! Ports were all awesome and don't feel like we had any major hiccups other than weather, wind and rain (normal for this time of year). We did the Land of Trolls excursion in Alesund, Norway which was awesome. The rest of the ports we did private excursions or explored on our own. We did the NCL one for Alesund as it was quite a distance to cover and wanted the peace of mind on returning to ship on time. For dining we hit Aqua a few times, great service and adequate food but nothing to get excited about. We had a dining package so ended up utilizing it for Cagneys, La Cucina, Le Bistro and Moderno. Cagneys-sea bass! La Cucina-great but not the best I've ever eaten, avoid the lasagna! Le Bistro-pretty good but found some of the traditional French meals I would of expected not to be included on the menu. They did however have great escargot Moderno-meat, meat and more meat! Garlic beef, filet and ribs were our favorites. But the best (for me) was the mango rice pudding. We did several breakfasts and lunches in O'Sheehans which can be a bit of a wait for service but pretty decent food. The buffet is a buffet. No better or worse than any other cruise line. Entertainment was varied. Not all of the shows were our cup of tea and would of liked to see something new and different. Standard cruise ship fare. Had some fun with Bingo and Deal or No Deal, trivia, and watched a few other game show type shows in the Spinnaker. Entertaining and fun. Would of liked to see some enrichment type lectures other than Park West art talks! Ports: Bergen, we did Hop On, Hop Off Alesund, NCL Land of the Trolls Shetland Islands, walked to Fort Charlotte and then to museum Faroe Islands, taxi tour (museum closed Sundays) Iceland, private excursion with our Cruise Critic group Lerwick, private excursion with our Cruise Critic group Dublin, private excursion with our Cruise Critic group We were fortunate to have a pretty active Cruise Critic group and ended up spending quite a bit of time with different folks from the group. We had several at sea days and enjoyed meals, casino time, and various programming with them. Casino is not the greatest I've seen and quite a few of the machines were out of order but we did have some fun playing penny slots. In the evenings tends to get a bit smoky so we avoided it then as I am on a POC. Library is small but did find a few books to read and daily paper games. I had been avoiding NCL for 6 years as I hated the nickel and diming on our 2010 trip so was pleased to find that the servers and photographers weren't as "in your face" as they had been. On the flip side, very disappointed to be charged to use room service, especially for breakfast, so didn't order other than coffee on a few of the early mornings. My true issues were with the size of the room. For the amount we spent for a balcony room, I expect to be able to walk past the bed and have enough space for my husband and I to sit side by side to look at tv or read. I also missed the ability to check the tv for our account info! I wouldn't run back to do another NCL cruise but if they had an itinerary that I couldn't resist I would go ahead and book again. We had a fairly easy disembarkation and no problem finding luggage or porter. Long line for taxis but didn't take as long as we thought. We stayed one night by the airport and did a day trip to Malmo, Sweden via train. The next day, we utilized a deal with Iceland Air to fly back to iceland for another few days. Great way to see more of Iceland, did a hotel and rental car and travelled the southern area as we did the Golden Circle on our ship port day. Overall, an enjoyable experience. I travel with a POC and this size ship is great for me. With a midship location I was easily able to walk around. Found the staff to be very helpful in facilitating getting on and off at all of the ports. We had one tender port and had no problem with it either. Did not feel as if the POC limited me in any way on this trip.

Great Itinerary

Ports:

Bergen, we did Hop On, Hop Off

Alesund, NCL Land of the Trolls

Shetland Islands, walked to Fort Charlotte and then to museum

Faroe Islands, taxi tour (museum closed Sundays)

Iceland, private excursion with our Cruise Critic group

Lerwick, private excursion with our Cruise Critic group

Dublin, private excursion with our Cruise Critic group

Library is small but did find a few books to read and daily paper games.

sierra28546’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Star price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 10622
Quite a bit smaller than anticipated. Decent size closet with a few shelves inside it. Three small drawers next to vanity table and one very small table under the tv. Also, one very small bedside table. The other side of the bed has a very small little loveseat. Barely enough room for two. Hubby is over 6 feet so didn't leave much room for me. A small table in front of loveseat, barely able to hold morning coffee and pastry tray. Bathroom is also very small, little toilet compartment. Shower has adjustable pole so can make taller. Main section has one small shelf above the sink and another smaller double shelf under sink. Garbage takes up under the sink area. TV is small and remote is not user friendly! There was a small coffee pot that makes one cup of coffee at a time. Had to rearrange to use it as there is only one outlet in room. Balcony had two chairs and a small table. Sadly, we didn't get to use it as often as we had hoped, hit some rainy days.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins