3. Viking Egil
The ship was sparkling clean and recently launched. Our cabin was small but certainly adequate with the balcony. The food varied from good to fair, mostly better than worse. There is a limited choice of entrees but most of the time one could find something appealing. The entertainment and activities were the high point of the cruise. The tours, both daily and optiona,l were mostly outstanding. Tour guides were almost without exception wonderful. I would say that avoiding the optional tours which require long bus rides, particularly the first day, is a good idea. It would be difficult to pick out the best of the optional tours as most of them were outstanding. The service was outstanding. The service givers were mostly Eastern European and extremely pleasant, friendly and efficient. We enjoyed getting to know several of the meal servers. I will say I wasn't happy with the first day. We arrived in Nueremberg to find an airport full of people waiting with Viking representatives. We waited probably another 45 minutes and were led to the buses. The rumor was that we were going to briefly stay at a hotel before we went to the ship. It turns out we stopped at a hotel to pickup other passengers and drove more than 2 hours to where the ship was tied up, due to high water. We were led onto the ship but our baggage was piled up probably 80-90 yards from the ship and it stayed there while we checked in. Then very, very slowly with 2-3 employees and one cart, the bags were brought to the ship. We waited and waited. By the time mine arrived it was somewhat part the start of dinner time. No time to change after nearly 24 hours on the plane. Most of this was really no one's fault,given the high water, although I think the communication was very poor at the beginning and why not pile the luggage right by the ship initially where it would be easily and quickly accessible. As I mentioned above there was some variation in the quality of the food. I would also say unless you intend on doing some substantial drinking the wine and beer served with the meal was fine without the premium alcohol package. The quality of the wine and beer was OK but not great, for someone who enjoys fine wine or premium beer it might be an issue. We bought a drinks, here and there, which ended up costing us way, way less than the cost of the package which was fine for us as we aren't energetic drinkers.

A Mostly very positive experience

Viking Egil Cruise Review by Idrone

• Sail Date: June 2016
  • Destination: Europe

Idrone’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Egil price drops

very clean and compact. Excellent service
  Viking Egil Deck Plans