3. Viking Hlin
We arrived in Amsterdam very early in the morning as we had an overnight flight. Our Viking Cruise host met us while we were waiting for our luggage to come off the plane. We were then shuttled to our ship aboard a coach bus and given cold water immediately. It was a nice way to start. When we arrived at our ship, the staterooms weren't ready yet but we were encouraged to go to the dining room and enjoy a hot breakfast as service was still ongoing. Another fantastic way to start our trip. We did take advantage of the shuttle bus that took us to the center of Amsterdam so we could explore a bit. Unfortunately many of the museums were closed and the Anne Frank house was completely sold out but we took a wonderful canal cruise and saw many of the sights. The weather was a bit chillier than I thought it would be at that time of the year so we didn't spend any time on the sundeck but the Aquavita Terrace was wonderful! And on the one day that we were hit by rain while on an excursion, the ship's kitchen staff met us with hot chocolate and rum! YUMMY!!! The food was excellent! I loved that we had the choice of either a more 'informal' meal on the terrace or a more formal meal in the dining room for lunch and dinner. Even for breakfast there were many many choices from the to die for buffet to the order from the menu options. If you just wanted muffins, coffee, and cereal there were those options also! The bar staff was extremely friendly!! My husband and I looked forward to going to the lounge whenever possible because it was so welcoming! Ships staff weren't afraid to interact with us and it made it seem like we were cruising with family. Our cabin steward was fantastic! He entertained us with towel animals and fresh fruit each day! The ports are wonderful and the shore excursions are very interesting but bring your walking shoes!!! Walk before you go on the trip to get ready for the walking you will do. Many areas are accessible only on foot and sometimes the ship has to dock a decent hike from the main entrance to town. You will definitely get your exercise! We did extend our trip into Lucern Switzerland and I can't say that I would recommend that portion of the trip. Our hotel was again a distance from the city center and having to walk for everything was not the way I really wanted to end my trip. But my husband and I are looking forward to going on another excursion with Viking. We just know what we want to do more than we did for the first trip.

Lets get ready to see Europe and get your exercise!

Viking Hlin Cruise Review by whrlwnd1

• Sail Date: July 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Suite

whrlwnd1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Hlin price drops

Veranda Suite
Cabin AA 211
We splurged for our first river cruise and went with a Veranda Suite. It was very nice but I wouldn't book one again. I would book a Veranda room just not the suite as we didn't spend enough time in the suite to really get our money's worth out of it. Also the couch and chair weren't the most comfortable seating for us.
The balcony was very nice to sit out on while the ship was sailing to watch the scenery go by.
Upper Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins