Viking Emerald Cruise Review

Beyond expectations! Could not have done China better!

Viking Emerald Cruise Review by Lmclean111

• Sail Date: Mar 2016
  • Destination: Asia

My mom and I chose to travel with Viking to China because we had heard great things about Viking tours, and wanted to travel with a reputable company. When we looked at the available cruises we chose the 'cruise' from Beijing to Shanghai. One thing that appealed to us "virgin" cruisers was that there were hotel stays prior to and after the cruise portion. We had a few days in Beijing and Xian before the cruise and got to explore The Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, The Terra Cotta Warriors, and other fantastic places, all while staying in five-star accommodation. Then we boarded the Viking Emerald, we enter into a beautiful atrium and our taken to our stateroom-spacious and has a great veranda. The Yangtze River provided a beautiful backdrop as we cruised, and it was wonderful to enjoy sitting on our veranda. The food onboard was delicious, and I loved that at every meal there was a local cuisine option. The crew was amazing, and talented! The entertainment on board surpassed my expectations. The shore excursions were well thought out and gave a view of China that we couldn't get in the larger cities- I particularly loved the lesser gorges tour because our guide had lived there her entire life and she described the culture. Even when we couldn't go on one of the excursions (due to a weather/lock schedule issue), the staff on the boat went out of their way to plan some last minute entertainment, including a free alcoholic beverage, so that we would still get a great experience, even if it wasn't the one we had planned.

It has been over six months since we traveled, and my mom and I still are talking about all of the wonderful experiences we had in China. I am normally an independent traveler, but I am so glad I traveled with Viking because I know I would not have seen a quarter of what I saw with them, or with the ease that everything was handled.

I have recommended this trip to everyone I know, and I would gladly go on this trip again!

Lmclean111's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Veranda A 428

Cabin was spacious, even with the beds separated. Comfortable sitting area, and the veranda was great. I loved opening the sliding door and sitting on the couch reading, I felt like I had indoor/outdoor living. My only "complaint" was with the bathroom, it was underwhelming and small compared to everything else.

Badaling Great Wall

Unbelievable

View All 25 Badaling Great Wall Reviews
Beijing City Tour

Cool city

View All 5 Beijing City Tour Reviews
Forbidden City

Guide had great info, then we got some independent tim

View All 32 Forbidden City Reviews
Hutong Tour

One of the best tours in Beijing, great look at the culture

View All 17 Hutong Tour Reviews
Tiananmen Square

Went early so it wasn't crowded

View All 23 Tiananmen Square Reviews
City Tour

Awesome city

View All 18 City Tour Reviews
Shanghai Museum

Museum was good, but we had been to a lot of museums

View All 16 Shanghai Museum Reviews
Yu Gardens

Even in the rain, the coolest city's garden I have been to

View All 23 Yu Gardens Reviews