3. Silver Cloud
We have sailed with Celebrity, Regent, Azamara, Seabourn and Silversea. Having sailed with Silversea for the first time earlier in the year (on the Whisper), and thoroughly enjoyed it, we thought we would introduce friends to the company and sailed as 4 on the Cloud. What a mistake that turned out to be. This ship should not be sailing. I believe it is to have a refit in September 2017 to enable it to go to Antarctica, but this means that Silversea re going to be taking money from people for a whole year to sail on this tired, noisy and smelly ship. The service on the ship was fine, the food was acceptable and the ports were fine. However, this was no luxury experience. The ship has a problem with fumes and with noise. Fumes could be overpowering at times and I twice had to open our verandah doors in the middle of the night to get air (this was whilst at sea) as it felt as if the air in the room was thick with fumes. This was a problem we were to hear many passengers discussing. The noise on the ship is another issue. There are no soft closing doors and some passengers love to slam, add to that the fact that room doors are paper thin, so you can hear every conversation from the corridor outside and beyond. This also means that you get awoken early in the morning by the cruise director announcing the port ( this can start around 8) he will then announce half an hour later, the name of the local tourist information person boarding the ship, so just in case you had managed to get back to sleep, you would be woken once more. There is no way of switching the announcements off so don't expect any lie-ins. We were spared the noise problems with the ageing thrusters that our friends encountered every time we docked. We were mid-ship but they were forward and the racket began early each morning. We are all seasoned cruisers and know to expect 'ship noises on a ship', but this was off the scale and resulted in sleep depravation. The spa is another issue. I paid $245 for a massage (yes, more fool me) and while the therapist was good, the 'treatment room' was below the pool deck so there was to be no relaxing for me! The noise of chairs and tables being dragged around feet above me would see to that, and to make it worse, the relaxing music that usually accompanies a treatment went off after 5 minutes and did not go on again. Probably to give me the full impact of the dragging sounds above. I cancelled future treatments I'd booked before boarding. In summary, this ship is old, tired furnishings etc, noisy and smelly. I'm embarrassed to have recommended Silversea to my friends after this experience. Please save your money and don't go on this ship. It's a disgrace that Silversea have not taken it out of service.

Tired, noisy, smelly ship.

Silver Cloud Cruise Review by scotslass999

scotslass999’s Full Rating Summary
Get Silversea Silver Cloud price drops

Air con is generally poor throughout the ship and cabin was often too warm. Fumes were a problem as mentioned in review.