3. Viking Star
We chose this cruise because of the route and stops on this cruise The cruise was from Bergen Norway stopping at the Shetland Islands, the Farro Islands, Iceland, Greenland, the Viking archeological site in Newfoundland, and then down the St.Lawrence River to Montreal. This was the first transatlantic crossing for the Viking Star which was first put into service in 2015 and had been in service in Europe. We have done Viking river cruises and since we liked the stops on the route we thought we would try a Viking ocean cruise. The ship is new and quite nice. It is very well maintained and the crew is friendly and helpful. The food was excellent with a very nice variety. Overall I would rate the cruise as average. First of all the cruise is not all inclusive which in today's market is really out of place. You will be charged $14 per person per day as gratuities for the staff. On our 15 day cruise that added an additional $420 to the cost of the cruise. Viking apparently doesn't want to tell you the true cost of the trip by including these costs in the ticket. Beer, wine and soft drinks are included at lunch and dinner and you are charged for them at all other times. You can purchase an all inclusive drink package but the cost is quite costly There is a mini fridge in your room and you have four soft drinks in it. You can drink them without charge but if you want more you are charged $2 for each soft drink. I personally find it to be insulting that soft drinks are not included in the price of the cruise. Service in the restaurants was spotty at best. At times service was acceptable but never really good and other times it was just plane bad. I never saw any service around the pool or lounge areas. There is one main bar on the first deck with a few tables around it and here there was service. In the surrounding lounge area if there was service I never saw any. We always had to go to the bar and get our own drinks. One aspect of the restaurant service that I found especially discusting was when you finished one course of your meal the waiters would remove your dishes but would place your used silverware on the table for you to use on the next course. I would expect this type of service in a truck stop but not here. Overall I would rate the cruise experience as average. You will have a good time and you will enjoy the cruise but Viking is not one of the top tier of cruise lines. Don't expect a Viking ocean cruise to be the same as a Crystal or Seaborne cruise. These cruise lines have better amenities and service. However as I said you will still have a good experience on Viking

Viking Star Cruise

Viking Star Cruise Review by Brb0330

Brb0330’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Star price drops

The cabin was nice and the cabin staff was very friendly and compitent. The cabin was a little smaller than those on Crystal.