Avalon Passion Cruise Review

Exceptional Treatment on the Balkan Discovery

Avalon Passion Cruise Review by caldreamer

• Sail Date: Sep 2016
  • Destination: Europe River

We've done river cruising before and wanted to experience the Balkans by Danube. Our travel company recommended Avalon, new for us. Everything about the cruise was excellent: ship (new ship Passion), cabin, staff, service, dining, excursions -: a first class experience all around. The dedication and expertise of the captain and crew was evidenced in what occurred during one of the excursions. On a trip to an archeological excavation in Serbia, I fell down a flight of stairs leading back to the bus. I was injured all over my body; miraculously, no broken bones. After receiving first aid in the town close to the site of my fall, I was driven by ambulance, through the hills, to a hospital in a larger town an hour and a half away. There I was treated: abrasions and cuts bandaged, and stitches in my leg and head. I also had two x-rays, a CAT scan, an ultra sound, an EKG and blood work. Excellent, professional care. Then our Avalon guide, who had stayed with us the entire time, drove us another two hours to meet the Passion at an unscheduled stop on the Danube. After conducting us back to the ship, we were given dinner in our stateroom - and the laundry personnel even washed my bloody clothing for me! The captain had monitored my progress the entire day, talking with our Avalon guide, and making it possible for us to meet the ship and continue for the rest of the Balkan cruise; we didn't miss anything! An extraordinary effort to help us as well as to ensure that the rest of the Avalon passengers were able to enjoy their trip through the Iron Gates, and that everything went on as scheduled. I'm not sure this same level of service would have happened with any other cruise company. Kudos and thanks to the entire crew and staff for their caring manner and for an unforgettable, wonderful cruise.

caldreamer's Full Rating Summary

Lovely room, especially liked the fact that we had a large, sliding window we could open. Well-appointed, comfortable bed, more than enough room to put all our belongings and the best bathroom we've ever had on any cruise, ocean or river. Jonni, our steward, was terrific, very attentive and nice personality.

Budapest

I didn't take an excursion - look above, I said "no"! But, the web site requires that I rate something I didn't do.

Translyvania Tour

Dracula's castle and it's town are so touristy (should have expected that everyone in the world would want to be there!) Our guide was very good and tried her best to give us a good experience. Our friends booked a tour on their own and went to a different castle, had dinner at a restaurant over looking the countryside. I wish we had done that!

View All 4 Translyvania Tour Reviews