Norwegian Star Cruise Review

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Snowball007

• Sail Date: Sep 2016
  • Destination: Norwegian Fjords
  • Cabin Type: Inside

We choose this cruise based on the itinerary and because the NCL has thermal spa packages available. We had a mid level inside cabin. Our room stewardess was very good.

DINING: we enjoyed the dining, with the exception of the coffee. The coffee onboard the ship was horrible... (with the exception of the JAVA bar-- which you paid extra for-- they had delicious coffee there! Again you had yo pay EXTRA if you wanted a decent cup of coffee, which can add up!!!! ) I'm not a coffee drinker and my husband never complains about anything so when he stated the coffee was BAD -- I had to taste it-- it tasted like weak instant coffee-- BAD! that being said the food onboard the ship was very good. However, I did not like the fact the in the main dining rooms-- they had items on the menu that you had to pay for if you ordered them, for example, the serf and turf and lobster. I can understand paying extra for the speciality restaurants; but, in the main dining room-- anything on the menu should be FREE of charge. In the past, the cruise line ALWAYS served lobster one night-- not so anymore-- if you want it-- you pay extra for it. I drink GREEN TEA and the ship ran out of it on DAY 10.... maybe the could buy more GREEN tea in the future. Also, would recommend the buffet items (snacks) be open till 12:00 midnight -- it closed at 11:00 so after the later show, we had to rush up to deck 12 for a snack-- and the servers were cleaning up putting everything away-- the buffet should be open till midnight.

O'Sheehan Bar and Restaurant -- anytime we went there they were always on break so we could not get anything to eat-- suggest NCL publish O'Sheehan hours so you knew when you could get food-- they publish it is open 24 hrs-- and it may be but we could never get anything to eat because we always showed up when the staff was on break. One night we ate there and the female server NEVER came back to take our dessert order-- after 30 minutes of waiting we left and headed to deck 12.

Entertainment-- EXCELLENT-- the Cruise Director, Mark was exceptional and so was DJ Anonymous!!!!!

Ports and excursions: loved the ports and the shore excursions too were great with the exception of SCOTLAND. I recommend-- do NOT take the Stirling Castle Tour-- it was the worse tour I took in 23 years of cruising.... IT was so bad that I asked for out money back and of course the ship excursion people said, "NO" but, they gave me and my husband a 10% credit. But I didn't want to argue on vacation. Why was it so bad? -- our tour guide MARTIN-- went to get tickets and left the group to their own devises-- he NEVER gave us tickets-- in fact we never saw him again till the bus ride back to the ship. Some folks on tour caught up with him -- but we never saw him again till the bus. WE HAD NO TICKET to get into the castle and paid for a guided tour... that is why the excursions people should have given us a FULL refund.

The ship's Captain Matias Andersson was one of the best Captains we ever sailed with-- he was knowledge and very personable. Always had a smile on his face and was happy to see everyone. He gave a special Vikings lecture that was educational and I wish the other ships would have more lectures like it.

Kudos to the thermal spa personnel -- it was always VERY clean, neat, and the therapists there were wonderful. Had 2 massages which were terrific!!! Highly recommend it.

We did not travel with children.

Yes, I would take this cruise again -- with the exception of avoiding the Stirling Castle, LOL

All in all it was the vacation of a lifetime!! But since this is a critique-- there are some MINOR things the beverage personnel, O'Sheehan's and ship's excursions personnel could have done to make it a 5 star experience.

Snowball007's Full Rating Summary

Inside
Cabin ID 10097

Our stewardess was very nice--always in a good mood!!!! I loved the towel animals and chocolates she left on the bed each night!

We had an inside cabin not sure of the letters.

Copenhagen

loved the city --we had the post cruise package!!!

Bergen Aquarium

Loved it

View All 0 Bergen Aquarium Reviews
Blue Lagoon

the highlife of my trip-- loved it!!!!

View All 52 Blue Lagoon Reviews
Greenock (Glasgow)

Stirling Castle-- I stated it in my review.. you can read it there do not want to repeat

Snowball007