3. Celebrity Infinity
Embarkation: Vancouver originally had two embarkation terminals – Ballantyne Pier and Canada Place. The facility at Canada Place was extended to accommodate three vessels and Ballantyne was discontinued. Alas, the facilities at Canada Place are inadequate for handling 5,000 people disembarking and another 5,000 embarking within a few hours. Our family of three arrived around midday to find a traffic jam and off-loaded several hundred metres from the terminal. After dragging our suitcases into the facility, we joined long lines of cruisers who were forced to meander around the terminal before arriving at check-in. It was people-parking and very tiring. Time taken to board – about an hour. I stress, that this is a Port of Vancouver problem, not a Celebrity problem. My advice, skip the cruise ship lunch and embark between 2 and 3 pm. My wife did on a previous cruise and there were no delays. Infinity cabin: Deck 8 - balcony. Well appointed, though lacking in shelf space. Our 9-year-old son slept on the fold-out couch on the first night. For the rest of the cruise he used the drop down bunk bed which gave him a kind of attic room. He loved it. And it gave us much more room to maneuvre. The firm mattress made my back ache after a few days. Kids' club: Being a shoulder season cruise there were very few children on board. The Fun Zone for kids was well equipped and the activities engaging. As the week passed, my son spent more time each day and the staff deserve kudos for entertaining a small group of kids with a wide age range. Dining: We used the Main Dining Room for dinner and some breakfasts. We found the café had a wider offering for breakfast and a much greater selection for lunch. Sharing tables in the MDR for lunch is always a lottery and the café avoids that possibility. We found the food in both venues to be of high quality, with a wide variety of delicious fare. Our son disdains the kids' menu and enjoyed sampling some exotic dishes. Wine Tasting: I attended two tastings. One pairing wines with food. The other sampling a dozen good wines from around the world along with a selection of cheeses. Both were enjoyable and good value. Service: We found the service excellent throughout the ship. Travelling with a youngster on a de facto seniors' cruise meant that he got a lot of staff attention. We were impressed by their engagement with him. Entertainment: We saw two shows and enjoyed them. Summary: The ship has classic decor, is in good order, and seemed spacious. We enjoyed a relaxing trip and booked a future cruise while aboard. It's Celebrity from now on. Disembarkation: Debarked ship at 9:30. No customs. Joined a long line up for a cab. Almost an hour. Tip: Collect your luggage, leave the terminal and go to a nearby hotel for a cab. We would have saved a lot of time.

Fall Pacific Coastal Cruise

Dining:

Wine Tasting:

Service:

Entertainment:

We saw two shows and enjoyed them.

Summary:

Disembarkation:

Helvetica1’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 7 to 9
Get Celebrity Infinity price drops

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2B
Cabin 2B 8138
Well appointed, though lacking in shelf space.
The firm mattress made my back ache after a few days.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins