3. Norwegian Jewel
We chose this specific cruise because it was a 10 day rather than the normal 7 day Alaskan cruise. We loved that we could visit ports we had never been to before! Both the embarkation and disembarkation were extremely well organized. They went so smoothly and we were very impressed with that aspect. The crew was wonderful! Everyone was very helpful, always a smile. We did not go to any of the entertainment, so I can't comment on that but there always seemed to be something going on. We took my 88 year old father with us on this trip, as this was his bucket list trip. He enjoyed himself immensely. That all being said, we did share a cabin with him, and that was "interesting" to say the least. Now for the bad.... I was extremely disappointed with the food. The buffet was just a buffet -- nothing special. Not good and not bad. The fresh fruit was nice, even though they did run out of pineapple about 3/4 of the way through the cruise. Everything else was just adequate. The dining room food was certainly nothing special either. It was okay, but certainly not great. Frequently we had a hard time even finding anything either of us wanted to eat. Portions were small, which was okay because you didn't want to eat much of the food either way. We did go to 4 of the 5 "fee" restaurants as we had the Dining Package. Cagney's Steakhouse was great!! I have never had a more delicious filet mignon anywhere! Le Bistro was lovely too -- very good food. Teppanyaki was fun and the food was fine. La Cacina, the Italian restaurant, was AWFUL!!! Service was rather sullen (I think they knew how bad the food was). So since the food is a big part of the pleasure of cruising, I would never cruise with NCL again. Our cabin was okay -- it was clean and we had a wonderful steward. The beds were certainly not the most comfortable I have ever slept on, but we managed. I did not care for the layout of the ship. Nothing grand about it on the inside -- it felt like they had crowded as many rooms onto the ship as possible so there was no room left on the inside for large open spaces. So in summary, I'd give the crew, the service, the ports, the embarkation and disembarkation very high marks. The room (due to size and quality of beds) a mediocre mark, and the dining, with the exception of the steakhouse and the french restaurant, pretty low marks. I would not cruise with them again.

Great crew, pretty poor food

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by thecatservant

• Sail Date: September 2016
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

thecatservant’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MX 11516
Barely room for 3 people, but it was adequate. The beds were certainly not the most comfortable I've ever slept on. But the room was kept very clean and our steward was wonderful!
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins