• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Viking Star Review

Editor Rating
69 Awards

Viking is very good overall, but has some major problems to solve

Review for Viking Star to the Baltic Sea
ronaldlknight
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Sep 2016
Cabin:

Viking has won recent awards for the best new ocean cruise line. That's easy to understand after having been on two of their ocean cruises (Mediterranean and Baltic). However, I didn't give them a 5-star rating because of four major problems. I'll discuss those in detail at the end of this review, but first let me highlight the positives.

The Viking Star is a magnificent ship. It's beautifully designed and with only 925 passengers, it never felt crowded. Embarkation and disembarkation were very fast and since shore excursions were scheduled at staggered times throughout the day, there were no long lineups to get off the ship. All the facilities in the spa area were available to all passengers; spa treatments alone had an extra cost. I enjoyed the jogging track, with the non-slip flooring, that went all the way around deck 2.

All of the staterooms have balconies. I was quite happy with a standard deck 3 room, since I used it only for sleeping, showering, and changing. Storage is more than adequate. I especially enjoyed the large, glassed-in shower and the heated bathroom floor. The TV system is especially impressive. Besides live news shows, movies and Ted Talks, I could access my personal shore excursion itinerary and my account details.

Find a Viking Star Cruise from $4,779