3. Norwegian Getaway
I only picked this cruise line because they had studio rooms for singles and they were going to port of calls that I wanted to see. But as I was talking to my family we ended up booking three rooms with balcony's. The staff, from the room steward to the Maitre d' were absolutely the best I have ever had on any cruise line. The amount of attention they showed us was above anything I had experienced before. They used our names often. They remembered our room numbers. They laughed with us and made us feel at home. I enjoyed the port of calls and the excursions that were offered. Snorkeling in Roatan, horse back riding in Belize, Salsa making and dancing in Cozumel and segway in Costa Maya. Fun, fun. My mother stayed on the ship and was able to play bingo daily, and won,and won often. I would have liked to see more for her to do but she seemed satisfied with what was available to her. We enjoyed the dinner package with my favorite being Cagneys for some of the best beef. Least favorite was the Italian, La Cucina. I would have liked to have been able to walk around the ship but none of decks were made that way. Only had a small path that went in a circle. Boring! I don't plan on cruising on the Getaway again any time soon and it is not because of the experience by no means, it is just too big. Just too many people for me. For someone that doesn't mind and has a family then I would recommend this ship if nothing else than for the personal attention you receive everywhere on the ship. Kudos to the crew!

Personal attention from the crew.

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by buttersmac

• Sail Date: September 2016
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom
buttersmac’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BC 13 aft port
My 86 yr old mother needed a handicap room and this one was very large and she was able to get to the balcony with no problems. She could even open the sliding door without help. I did not like the idea that the automatic door swung open so wide that anyone passing by in the hall could see everything inside the room. I think a sliding screen of some kind in front of her bed or somewhere by the door would have given her more privacy. But the room itself was really nice.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Horseback Riding Tour
    The stable staff were patient and friendly. They took time to match everyone who was experienced and the inexperienced with their perfect mount. The jungle had been hit with a hurricane earlier in the year so there weren't as many birds or monkeys to see since many trees were gone. The guides would stop to talk about the medicinal vegetation and point out any animals they saw, an orange iguana for one. The ride lasted about an hour and I am happy to say I was not sore. They fed us a traditional meal of rice and beans including peas and carrots mixed in, along with creole chicken. Yum, yum. Overall it was a fun time. There was a pool at the park to swim in but I didn't go in, although it looked nice.
    View All 13 Horseback Riding Tour Reviews
  • Segway Tour
    When I got to the port of Costa Maya I thought oh no what a tourist trap. But I didn't realize that on the other side of the pier was a beach town and where we would be heading. I had never been on a segway so I was a bit apprehensive but the staff took their time with each and everyone of us. Before you knew it we were scooting down the road. We took the segways out one by one in a line following each other into the beach town of Mahahual. What a beautiful place. The staff made sure we all felt safe and could work the segway on our own. They were great. Helpful, considerate and just nice guys. Working the segway just takes a bit of balance and foot pressure to make it go and stop. After awhile we were all feeling like experts. It was so easy but yet you needed to be aware of your surroundings. I truly enjoyed it. I want one!
    View All 28 Segway Tour Reviews
  • Salsa & Salsa
    This one is a must if you like tequila, salsa, guacamole and dancing. FUN! The group of ladies that are in charge are full of life and make it one of the best excursions. We made several kinds of salsa, margaritas and ate and drank every bit of what we made. Tasty... Then if that isn't enough you are on your feet learning to dance the salsa. I would do this one again in a heart beat. But then again, I love Mexico, tequila and of course, Salsa!
    View All 88 Salsa & Salsa Reviews
  • Miami
    I have always enjoyed Miami but this time I got off the plane and on to the ship. I spent no time in Miami.
    View All 2,395 Miami Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Miami Cruise Port Review
  • Snorkeling
    The boat and crew were wonderful! We had lunch on board the boat which was very tasty. I am rating the Jolly Roger as Excellent since I don't believe they have control of the reef. But the reef itself was brown and appeared dead with only a few spots of purple and yellow colors of life. Not as many fish as I had hoped to see which could be because of the lack of new growth? Some type of debris was floating in the water which appeared to be very small pieces of wood. Mangrove?? The water was warm like a bath. We had dolphins swim with us on our way back from our snorkel adventure which was pretty cool. I don't know if all of the reef areas in Roatan look like this but it was not as nice as I have seen in other parts of the Caribbean. It was rather sad in comparison. I hope this is isolated as I would hate to see this move to other parts of the Caribbean.
    View All 290 Snorkeling Reviews