3. Royal Princess
Desperately upset with Princess. Embarkation was flawless ... from there on it went down hill. At some point (probably during the frequent itinerary changes) my preferred cabin was changed without my knowledge. In the end I was devastated to discover our stateroom had no balcony!? I would never book an interior cabin, I’d rather not go. I spoke to the desk clerk who informed me there had been no error made on their part. I showed him my paperwork as proof, but he couldn’t explain what had happened. He did his best to help and contacted Princess on my behalf. They in turn offered us, at extra cost, a balcony with partial view, on the understanding that should it be required later during the second week of sailing we would have to return to our original cabin. We decided to decline their offer. I spoke of my disappointment with several others and discovered this had happened to at least one other couple. Happily for them they noticed in time and phoned Princess up to change it. The interior cabin affected my health in ways I could never imagine. It seems waking in the dark day after day caused depression. I was so bad that at one point, after one tour I seriously considered not returning. I realised much later, this was due to the lack of natural light in the cabin. Having identified the problem, I then would spend an extra hour or so in bright sunlight on the top deck which lightened my mood and I became my old self again. Everything on board was expensive, much more than I had imagined. Excursions, WiFi, even a decent coffee was extra. There are no specialty restaurants worth booking with menus so poor they could be bettered in the other main restaurants. We did, however take advantage of a rather expensive special night in Sabatini. The food and wine was excellent and well worth the extra paid. Good points: Well, we experienced exceptional politeness from all members of staff ... except one lady on the enquiry desk who couldn’t bother herself. The entertainment, for the size of ship, was good; most notably was a Beatle tribute band. It wasn’t spoilt by ‘Paul McCartney’s inability to play because the others managed to carry him through. On those tours we did book, plus disembarking, were all well executed. Future passengers might like to take note: I like to book tours with the cruise company involved to ensure that, should any problems occur resulting in delays getting back to the ship, we can be assured the ship will not leave without us. But as I have just pointed out, all tours were expensive. We were obliged to go-it-alone for many of the stops. And it really was much more fun and perfectly safe. There were always places of note to visit on our own at every port. On one occasion we stepped into a church and were delighted with the music being played inside a beautifully decorated building. Notices in English and local languages were displayed wherever necessary. Food and drink was cheaper, offering local delicacies such as taramasalata which, to my knowledge, wasn’t offered on board. The title of this cruise is wrong. I mention the itinerary changes. The knee-jerk reaction of Princess was to change the itinerary so fast and frequently it became absurd. No Turkey. No Malta, only a double dose of Greece and Italy. It spoilt the experience. Will I book Princess again? Well, I think you know the answer.

No Turkey or Malta: just a double dose of Greece with Italy thrown in.

Royal Princess Cruise Review by BuzzKid

• Sail Date: September 2016
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Interior
Desperately upset with Princess.

Embarkation was flawless ... from there on it went down hill.

Will I book Princess again? Well, I think you know the answer.
BuzzKid’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin ID R227
Always clean, adequate storage space.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins