3. Star Legend
My husband and I sailed previously on two Windstar cruises over 20 years ago, first to Costa Rica and then Turkey/Greek Islands. We had such a memorable experience that we wanted to re-enact it again! The last cruise I had been on was a large cruise ship of 2000 passengers; a sea of people in a gigantic floating hotel. I told my husband I vowed never to go on a cruise that felt like I was being “cattle herded" We choose the Star Legend for its intimacy of being on a small ship (less than 200 passengers and almost a 1 to 1 ratio of passenger to crew members) and its yacht like experience. By "YACHT LIKE" I am referring to many advantages of traveling on a small cruise ship. The cabins were spacious with walk in closets & marbled bathroom stocked with comfy bathrobes and slippers. We rarely called housekeeping because our room was always promptly cleaned & well maintained during our breakfast and before getting ready for dinner. Overall the ship had impeccable service. Just as we had experience on previous Windstar cruises the crew makes the Cruise! It's a very personal and luxurious experience when everyone working on the ship remember your name and seemingly anticipate your requests. I was most pleased by the culinary experience i had on the ship. I have a passion of collecting and blogging about cruise ship vintage menus on the internet. One of my favorite excursions was having the Executive chef Jeffery Miller take the passengers on a tour to the local farmer and fish market. We helped him select the fresh ingredients for the entrees being served that day and in addition to teaching us about the Dalmatia & Italian cuisine he included everyone in a tasting of the local cheeses, olives, breads from the region. Each meal felt like a farm and ocean to table experience. And when it comes to special dietary request, they also surpassed in meaning the needs of the passengers with certain food allergies. Being gluten intolerant, I was happy that I could order anything I wanted off the dinner or breakfast menu and it was specially prepared for me. One evening when couldn’t make up my mind between two entree’s whose descriptions were equally mouth watering, my server happily brought me both dishes! Most importantly we choose the Italy & Dalmatian coast destination because for the calmness of the Adriatic Sea & quaintness seaside villages. We were really lucky to have superb sunny and warm day in September that allowed us maximize the tours offered by the ship. Voyage leader have to biggest responsibility of making sure everyone on the ship has a good time on the tours and our charming leader Alina did not disappoint us….She could spot that I was a foodie a mile away and she recommended all the best epicurean and wine tours. My favorite was the The Truffle Experience in the Rovinj port in Croatia. Our tour guide was funny and well informed about the history culture of Croatia. Who knew that the necktie was invented by the Croatians!! After meandering the cobbled streets of the walled in city of Motovun perched high up in the mountains with truffle forest and olive groves, we had an sumptuous truffle lunch complete with Croatian wines!

Windstar is a WIN WIN!

Star Legend Cruise Review by shipmenus

shipmenus’s Full Rating Summary
Get Windstar Star Legend price drops

Ocean View Suite
Cabin S3 324
The cabins are unusually large suites with walk-in closets, and marble bathrooms. Extremely comfortable living space! Only one small issue - the shower heads are "side mounted" and were tricky to angle in the right direction.
Deck 6 Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    My husband was in heaven learning about all the places they filmed the series. We loved Robert who was an extra in the show and acted out all his favorite scenes!
    View All 113 City Tour Reviews
  • Speed Boat Tour
    Liset Rios de Kuhar
    Excursions coordinator
    English & Spanish Licensed tour guide in Montenegro
    KOTOR PRIVATE TOURS
    offered a fun speed boat ride through the blue Grotto caves where we could stop and swim. We loved touring the beautiful coast line of Montenegro that looked from afar like the Swiss Alps villages. The Adriatic Sea resembled blue glass! It was calm and crystal clear!!!
    View All 16 Speed Boat Tour Reviews
  • Culinary Tour
    The executive chef took us to a local farmer market where we learned about the cuisine of Croatia and tasted local cheese, olives and meats.
    View All 3 Culinary Tour Reviews
  • Mount Etna
    Our tour guide was very terse and unpleasant. She gave us complex directions in the bus ride to the sites of what we do and expect on the trip and then never followed up.
    We had trouble keeping up with her and she got very surly at the end when she was offered a tip.
    View All 82 Mount Etna Reviews