3. River Duchess

The River Duchess is a nice ship,though I found the room to be a bit small.  We were at the water level with a long small window.  The bathroom is the smallest I have ever seen.  The shower was comfortable for me, but I cannot imagine how a large person would fit!

The ship staff was very pleasant, a mix of European and Indonesian men and women.  I never had a problem with any of the staff.  A person who is not patient may have a problem with communication, but in todays world there are many languages to contend with.

The food was good to very bad.  I had what was described as a quiche Lorraine one evening.  It was a quiche with more vegetable than I have ever seen in this type of food.  I could see before I bit into it that it had been overcooked, but thought I might find a palatable portion in the inside, but unfortunately it was dry all the way through.  I could not understand how this could have made it out of the kitchen.

I found the wine, red or white and different vintners, included at night with the meal, to be pleasant.  My travel companion was much more critical.  Wine is a very personal thing so cannot comment for others.

The breakfast buffet was the best meal of the day.  Lunch was a buffet and alright.

We heard from other passengers that there were a number of people sick from stomach problems.  We heard numbers from 5 to 50.  Considering that the cruise had about 90 people that is a large number.  We could not confirm the exact count, depending on the word of two couples.

The big plus of a river cruise is that people subject to motion sickness will be very comfortable.  I never had a problem with it on this trip.

Tulips & Windmills

River Duchess Cruise Review by Jerry of San Francisco

Jerry of San Francisco’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Standard Stateroom
The cabin was nicely decorated. The bathroom was small with not cabinets. A shelf under the sink was the only resouce for storage. The shower, though adequate for me, would be a snug for a large person.
Main Deck Outside Cabins