3. Liberty of the Seas
We selected this cruise due to being offered an excellent price on it through an email special. Other reasons for choosing it were that it departed Galveston, where I have never been, and stopped in Roatan, where we have been several times and always loved it. This was an okay cruise, marred somewhat by the constant threat of Norovirus. Lots of people were sick, we were asked to complete a survey about whether we'd caught it (fortunately no), and we were told by some veteran cruisers at dinner that although they were continuing on with the ship they were having to pack their room as the whole ship was being disinfected while in port. We'd heard other passengers talking about people being quarantined and seeing crew cleaning in haz-mat suits, and on the way to dinner we saw a bunch of beefy security guys running towards one passenger lying in our hallway thrashing about. It felt quite like the opening sequences of a zombie film. Food in the dining room was okay, bland and tending to dry but otherwise what you'd expect in a mid-nice restaurant. The same with the service. As is usually the case on cruise ships, vegetables were in short supply on the plates and I usually went to the buffet mid-afternoon to score a plate of veggies. I wish the ships would offer extra sides of veggies. Food at the buffet was highly variable, from terrible to quite good. The bread was great everywhere. There was really nothing exceptional about this cruise, most staff were politely friendly, but no one stood out. There were a couple of times when staff seemed put out by a request,which I've only ever seen before on an unpleasant NCL cruise where I felt like the staff saw the passengers as a necessary inconvenience. The first three days of the cruise were at sea, we brought board games to pass the time. The card room on the Liberty is a small, depressing, windowless place, but it was the only place we could find with a big enough table and quiet enough to play games. The card room on our last cruise on HAL was huge, had big bay windows, combined with a lending library and a coffee shop where you paid for drinks but the desserts were free. So much more enjoyable. I like RCL and will certainly cruise with them again, but I don't feel like this cruise was up to the standards of our RCL previous sailings. Adequate, but nothing to write home about. Excursions: Costa Maya ATV and Beach (ATVs were great but the beach was full of sea grass) Roatan Dolphin Excursion and Swim (awesome) Cozumel Baby Sea Turtle Rescue (awesome)

Mediocre Cruise, Great Excursions

Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Krimson

Excursions:

Costa Maya ATV and Beach (ATVs were great but the beach was full of sea grass)

Roatan Dolphin Excursion and Swim (awesome)

Cozumel Baby Sea Turtle Rescue (awesome)
Krimson’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas price drops

It was a balcony room on deck 6. Good proximity to the dining room, about midway between the fore and aft stairs and elevators. As usual, the beds were combined when we arrived, even though we asked for them to be separated. The attendant was pretty indifferent, she was much friendlier with me than my male travel companion. I miss the ice in the room, I had to keep walking half the length of the ship to the buffet to fill my travel cup with ice, or to ask busy bartenders to fill it. I also miss the little welcome basket of samples. You get more amenities in a Motel Six these days. The balcony was a delight, I spent half the cruise there. The panel between the rooms rattled, but my travel companion wedged a bit of paper into it and that quieted it.
  Liberty of the Seas Deck Plans

• ATV Adventure
    ATV was great. Very rough terrain, which some other guests complained about but we thought it was fun. If you don't want to get jounced around, this isn't the excursion for you. The beach drop off was fun, the water was bathtub warm but the bottom was filled with unpleasant tall sea grass and very uneven. I was very glad to have my water shoes on and even then only stayed in a little while. Thefree drinks were very strong, so if you are a drinker you will like this part.
    View All 51 ATV Adventure Reviews
  • Wildlife Tour
    This was a great excursion, especially for kids. Some of the baby turtles don't manage to dig their way out and will die without help. Others are killed by predators when they reach the surface. We dug down to the nest and pulled out the trapped babies, as well as the unhatched eggs. Then we carried the babies down the beach and safely released them into the sea. Great way to spend your morning. Not a good excursion for those opposed to getting dirty or expending some effort.The Mayan experience at the beginning of the tour was also fun.
    View All 4 Wildlife Tour Reviews
  • Galveston
    We just drove in, drove down the sea wall to look at the ocean, then dropped off the car and then drove out immediately after the cruise. So I can only speak to the parking (pricey, fenced but no shelter for the cars, not as nice as others we've used for similar cost) and the terminal (just a big warehouse, lines seemed unnecessarily long, took much longer than in other ports).
    View All 659 Galveston Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Galveston Cruise Port Review
  • Swimming with Dolphins
    I have interacted with dolphins on other excursions and this one was definitely more fun than previous ones. A lot of relaxed interaction with your group's dolphin, and some unscheduled fun interruptions by the dolphins who aren't participating. I was disappointed by the free snorkeling afterward though, as the dolphins kept their distance in the large enclosure and only a few people managed to have very brief interactions with them. Since you weren't allowed to carry your camera during this part and you weren't allowed to chase after the dolphins (for safety reasons) the only thing you could really do was float around wishing a dolphin would come and visit with you. The photos they take are expensive, the minimum is $30 for two photos, but you are allowed to take you own photos during the structured part. When they asked if wee were couples of singles, my friends and I should have said singles, so that we'd get to interact individually with the dolphin and the other could take pictures while it was happening.
    View All 43 Swimming with Dolphins Reviews