3. Seven Seas Explorer
I have always been a Regent fan and was excited about the prospect of a new ship with an interesting itinerary. I am at the gold level and have been on each of the Regent ships. Overall, I was underwhelmed. The ship is physically beautiful and your first response is Wow! However, the wow effect lasts only so long. We were in a Penthouse A. We chose this level because it was supposed to have priorities associated with it. If there were any priorities, we did not see them. The Penthouse A was spacious and well decorated and came with a butler. Was it worth the additional price? NO! Although the staff associated with the suite was excellent, there was no special attention given to us. We were given 8:30 reservations in the specialty dining rooms which meant we would miss the show. When I questioned this I was told that reservations are made on a first come first served basis, not by cabin level. Although the brochure stated that we were entitled to dine in a specialty restaurant every night of our choosing, we were told by the arrogant and rude reception staff that this was not true. They pointed to a line of small print that said Regent, Master and Grand suites only had this option. Indeed, I was surprised to see that a previous review noted the arrogant behavior of Reception and these people are still in their positions acting the same way. To me, a six star ship is not only its physical presentation, but service. The wait staff in the restaurants is excellent, but the staff in Reception and Destination Services is lacking. When you go on tour you are told to wait until your tour is called. I understand this, but you are instructed as if you are third grade students. If you approach the desk you are told to return to your seat so that you can scramble inline at the appropriate time. In Venice, there was no one to instruct you regarding getting a Water taxi or upon your return how to board the boat. Of course, that was at the end of the cruise and you got the feeling that the ship was no longer interested in you. Indeed, you had to vacate your suite by 8a.m.. This was presented as a 10 day cruise, but in reality you leave by 8 a.m.on the tenth day and do not get on the ship until midday of the first day. A 10 day cruise is in reality an 8 day cruise. They start talking about disembarkation on the third day. The last day of the cruise you can see them getting ready for the next cruise. I know this is typical on cruise ships, however, I was hoping for an extra level of service from a shop that bills itself as the most luxurious. Luxury is not only physical beauty, but an extra level of customer consideration and service.The Navigator was making a similar trip to ours. The cost of a comparable suite was 2,000.00 less per person for two more days. The difference in cost has to be justified some way which it is not. Physical beauty only goes so far! Tours are included in the cost, but there were no ear pieces so you had to stay with the guide in order to hear the presentation To be fair, the food is excellent and the service was excellent. Entertainment was good. The cruise director John Barron and his assistant David Nevin were excellent as well. However, a ship that has received the degree of hype that this one has sets a high bar. The expectations were not met in the key area of Customer Service by Reception and Destination Services. As stated previously, physical beauty only goes so far. At these prices you expect something truly special. Was value received for value paid? No! In this competitive cruise market, I will rethink Regent.

Disappointed!

Seven Seas Explorer Cruise Review by Rmc1131

• Sail Date: September 2016
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite

Was value received for value paid? No!

In this competitive cruise market, I will rethink Regent.
Rmc1131’s Full Rating Summary
Get Seven Seas Explorer price drops

Penthouse Suite
Cabin A
Beautifully decorated and well designed.
Deck 14 Suite Cabins