• Newsletter

10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2016
Cabin: Aqua Class

The cruise was chosen for the itinerary as it is one of the few that wife and I have not been on. We have over thirty cruise so we have some experience in regards to cruising. Embarkation and disembarkation was a breeze, however we departed a couple of hours early due to Hermine. Just wondering out loud why Aqua Class has no embarkation lunch in Blu but Luminae is open for suite guest and the MDR for concierge cabin guest. Kudos to the Master and his staff is keeping us ahead of the storm safe and sound. On a side note, Celebrity informed me and others by call, text, and email of the early departure. I would recommend that when Celebrity does call please have Celebrity Cruise show up on the caller ID instead of all ones. When I saw that I just let it go to voice mail as many don't answer call from unknown IDs. I did receive a text about an hour later. Since 2010 we have been cruising in Aqua Class exclusively and only on "S" class ships. The Summit appears to be a tired ship that needs some tender loving care with rust removal from numerous areas along with replacing worn furniture in both public and private areas. The ship does lack many amenities that other X chips have but that is sort of expected. The drink service in many area of the ship was spotty at best. I don't know if this is in connection with the drink packages or just a lack of service personnel. However this is annoying when it was taking over 15 minutes or not at all in the theater or Oceanview. A definite lack of personnel appeared to be the issue in these areas. Food is subjective so here it goes. The food in Blu has declined since we started cursing in Aqua Class. The menu has not had any significant changes or updates since its inception. We ate with the same people just about every night and many times we just ordered off the MDR menu which our waiter was more than happy to accommodate. The service in Blu was very good but many times the staff was rushed and appeared in a hurry. The Oceanview provided a nice alternative for food. We did dine in Qsine and Tuscan and both were excellent, however you should not have to pay extra for the service that should be standard throughout the ship. The entertainment onboard was good to very good, no complaints here. We only took one X shore excursion as we usually use private tours. However the Celebrity Sugar Shack with dinner in Quebec City was outstanding, I would sign up for this again as it was a great time and the dinner provided was delicious and plentiful. The cabin steward was efficient and personable, no issues here.The itinerary is very good except for the stop in Sydney, NS. I would recommend taking advantage of a spa discount while in this port. Overall, a little disappointed on this trip comparing to past other cruises on Celebrity. In the past couple of years in my opinion that the experience on Celebrity has declined in regards to food and service. We usually have about 2 or 3 cruises booked at any given time but only one Celebrity cruise on the docket in March on the Eclipse. After the Eclipse trip we will see if Celebrity will be right for us.

Aqua Class

Cabin A2

Typical cabin with good storage. The cabin did show more wear and tear along with a lot of rust on the balcony. The bed was average, nothing to write home about but ok. The bathroom was in need for some light repair but served its purpose. The room is located under the pool area but no issue regarding noise.

Port Reviews

Sydney (Nova Scotia)

Not much to do in the port.

Bayonne (Cape Liberty)