Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by teo113

• Sail Date: Sep 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window

I went on the Getaway with a friend. She purchased the cruise at a charity event and way over paid for it! As the date of our cruise got closer, we could have purchased the cruise for a fraction of the price. There were restrictions as to the dates we could go. We chose the week 9/11/16. They embarkation was quick and easy. My friend had been on this ship before, we boarded and she wanted to go to the Mojito bar. She ordered a cucumber jalapeno Mojito. The drink was $17.95 outrageous for a drink in a plastic cup that is mostly ice. We then decided to purchase the drink package for the week $1,300 for 2. NCL requires everyone in the same cabin including children (they must have soda package) to have a package if one has a drink package all must have it. In my opinion that is an egregious requirement. Other cruise lines do NOT have this policy.

The ship: She is pretty and has a lot of nice space. One thing we both did not like was on the 6th deck they have activities going on it is open the noise filters up. We were in O'Sheehans and all we could hear was the noise from whatever was going on.. keep the microphones and added noise in a closed space. It was so loud, took away from the O'Sheehans Irish pub feel. The Waterfront area is lovely a nice quiet spot. The pool way too small for the size of the ship on sea days over flowing with people. My friend and I opted to join The Vibe for the week a private area for adults only. It was an extra $100, no pool 2 hot tubs. The chairs were comfortable but if it is windy they will not put the umbrellas up. The bartenders up there were quite nice but it is easy to be nice when you are dealing with far less people scrambling to get their moneys worth from the drink package. However, a huge problem for us was they allow smoking at the Vibe bar. Not cool how can you charge extra for an upgraded experience and allow smoking. The area is not huge and the smoke drifts. The smokers tend to sit around at the bar and smoke. They could have had a place outside of the Vibe, where there was also a bar to go smoke.

Service: The service inconsistent, some very good and some a bit lacking.

Dining: Dined at 3 specialty restaurants Moderno's, Cagney's and Ocean Blue. They were all good, but I felt Moderno's not quite as good as I had experienced on another NCL ship. The quality of the food and the service is better at the specialty dining over the main dining room, one exception the Noodle Bar a nice option without an up-charge. Be sure to go to the Noodle Bar early or late it was almost always packed. The food at the buffet for breakfast and lunch was also very good with many choices and a variety of healthy options as well. We had one breakfast at Savor an option if you want away from the craziness of the buffet.

Entertainment and Activities: The shows we saw were excellent, book in advance. The gym was quite user friendly. The cardio machines and weights are in separate rooms across from each other. At times the gym was very busy, but was able to get a good workout in everyday. The spa nice, had a hot stone massage, it was very pricey. Really did not appreciate the big sales pitch to buy the products after the massage. Pay attention the prices for services in the spa, they go down during the week especially on port days.

Ports and Excursions: No scheduled excursions at any ports, did hear people rave about the cave tubing in Belize. The excursions also very expensive.

Overall there were positives and negatives about this ship and cruise. I would go on this ship or NCL again, ONLY if I got a great deal. I tend to like the bigger ships but felt the Getaway did not have enough outdoor or pool space for its size. The pool scene was mayhem. There were mixed age groups and not a lot of kids because of the season. I feel this ship geared more to a younger crowd. I am a fan of RC and Celebrity. I think NCL trying to compete with RC, but they are missing the boat. :)

teo113's Full Rating Summary

Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window
Cabin OX 11704

The cabin was all the way forward. We had a large window. The room was nice and bright. We were at the end of the hall so it was very quiet not a lot of foot traffic going by our cabin. It could be noisy while docking and you can hear the anchor, but overall a good alternative to a balcony.

Roatan

Got off of the ship very briefly, swarmed by locals.

Miami

Flew into Fll. took NCL bus to MIA. Very easy and efficient.

teo113