• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise

dbjennings
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Sep 2016
Cabin:

I am an experienced cruiser but this was my smallest ship (boat?) to date. We had 19 passengers, served by a crew/staff of 10. Just looking at the picture of Safari Quest tells a lot. Service was extraordinary. By the end of day 2, we knew every fellow passenger and all the crew on a first name basis. Many of the waters transited are protected, but not all. I expected a lot more motion, but Safari Quest is quite stable. We were offered motion-sickness medicine the first night, and that was the only time I used it. I'm not aware of anyone who had seasickness the entire trip.

The itinerary (Yachters' Paradise) was wonderful. A typical day has some hiking, touring ashore, kayaking or cruising in the early morning or evening. Some stops were at charming places with people, like Victoria BC and Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands. Others were beautiful and pristine sites like Princess Louisa Inlet where the only other humans were on a small pleasure boat or two. You can take a skiff if you don't want to kayak. You can also paddleboard if you like (no experience required!).

This part of the world (Seattle, San Juan Islands, etc.) has a rainy reputation, but we didn't see rain until the last day. Hikes could be muddy with rain, but we didn't experience that.

Cabin Captain

There are 3 categories of cabins on 3 decks. If you want a nice view from your cabin, the A cabins should be your choice. I note that there are lovely, comfortable public spaces for viewing if you can't do it from your cabin. The B cabins open to the dining room and the C cabins have elevated "port lights", not suitable for viewing.

My cabin, A2 was ideal. It is located just aft of the bridge, had a sliding glass door to outside and is as far removed from machinery noise as you can get. Surprisingly in a boat this size, we had a king size bed and lots of headroom. Suitcases fit under the bed if medium size or smaller. Really big suitcases will have to be stowed outside your cabin. Bathroom, toiletries, storage space and electrical outlets were all fine.

Port Reviews

Seattle

Seattle is the origin and end of this cruise. It has a lot to offer and fairly easy to get around in. We were glad to arrive a day early and explore. Don't miss Pike Street market. We also visited The Space Needle and Chihuli Garden and Glass, both recommended. The cafe at Chihuli is excellent, best to make a reservation when you arrive.

6 Helpful Votes