3. Island Princess
The Island was repositioning from Vancouver to Ft. Lauderdale and offered a three day segment from Vancouver to San Francisco. Since I live in the SF Bay Area my friend and I thought it would be a fun getaway. We splurged on a Suite C703. Flew to Vancouver on Monday 9/12 and stayed in the Residence Inn on Hornby Street. Loved the hotel and the location. Full kitchen, large room and well located. Breakfast was included. We spent Monday evening and all day Tuesday walking around, shopping and eating. We took the Hop On Hop Off Bus Tuesday with a pick up outside the hotel. Loved seeing Stanley Park and Granville Island. On Wednesday we walked and shopped some in the morning and then took a cab to Canada Place. Check in went quickly as we are both Platinum and Suite Passengers. I received my Elite card when I checked in - Yippee!! We had just settled down in the "lounge" when we were whisked on board. Straight to our stateroom. Caribe Deck 10 Aft. Very comfortable and large. Loved the extra large balcony. Since this was a repositioning short term cruise the service was inconsistent. We didn't get our coffee cards delivered until three trips to the Service Desk. We didn't meet our steward until late in the afternoon but we dropped our carry on and went straight to the Dining Room for lunch and then walked around. After muster I still had no luggage but I had a nice note from Security to come see them about my luggage. They did not like my power strip and took it away. Lots of people were down there getting appliances removed. First time in 29 years that has happened to me. Our Steward had just been reassigned to our floor and suites so he was figuring it out. He worked hard to make us happy. We had Anytime Dining. NEVER AGAIN. Long lines to get a pager, then long waits to get a table. I know I could have made reservations but I couldn't quite figure that out. So we went to Sabatini's the first night. Once again I was underwhelmed. I liked the food, but the service was sketchy and the head waiter was not thrilled to have us. We felt that way at Breakfast too the one day we ate there. The second night we had reservations at the Bayou Cafe and it was fabulous. Lots of great, innovative dishes, great service, it has a bar with a dance floor and entertainment during dinner so it was a nice change. The last night we had dinner with friends we made on the ship and waited the hour for a table for 10. They were continuing on the 15 day cruise and were going to ask about late seating set dining as they were unhappy with Anytime as well. We had lunch in the Dining Room everyday and once again they seemed to be surprised by how many people were trying to eat there. I think they were getting used to the new flow given Alaska being so port heavy and not a lot of people on board during the day. Took Pilates and Yoga both morning for $12 each. Great classes with a good instructor. Did two spa services which I love. I use Elemis products so the upsell stopped as soon as I said that. With limited time in Victoria we went to the Royal BC Museum which has a great First Nations Exhibit. Since we had done a lot of shopping in Vancouver we didn't shop in Victoria. Disembarkation was a nightmare. Everyone on the three day was expected to walk off with their luggage. We were assigned groups based on our cabin location but Suite/Elite/Platinum were sent to a separate lounge. Rather than having us disembark as a group behind tours and early flights they waited until our groups were called. I had never seen this. They also did not provide tags so the crew did not know if you were telling the truth about your group. The ship took an hour to clear before they allowed groups to leave and then everyone rushed the gangplank. No checking no order. The in transit passengers did not understand that they needed to fill out a form and sign it so Customs got irritated and shut down for 45 minutes to clear the hall. We got off at 11. Poorly handled logistics by Princess. But I was home by 11:30 with no flying and not jet lag. A nice break

3 Day Break on the Island

Island Princess Cruise Review by marthabro

• Sail Date: September 2016
  • Destination: Pacific Coastal
  • Cabin Type: Vista Suite with Balcony

But I was home by 11:30 with no flying and not jet lag.

A nice break
marthabro’s Full Rating Summary
Get Island Princess price drops

Vista Suite with Balcony
Cabin S6 C703
Nice size with a huge closet. Separate sitting area with blackout curtains. Vanity with hair dryer outside bathroom. Shower and separate tub with toilet and sink in separate area. Balcony is huge with two loungers and round table with two chairs. Blankets and towels provided in cabin.
Lido Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins