Carnival Dream Cruise Review
1,934 Reviews

It was a Dreamy cruise on the Dream.

Carnival Dream Cruise Review by ledelstein

• Sail Date: Aug 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean Suite

We decided to sail on the Dream out of NO because it is within driving distance from our home. We were looking forward to going to the Bahamas and Key West since we had never been and also anticipating spending a day in New orleans before we set sail.

The weather did not cooperate with us and we were diverted to Costa Maya, Cozumel and Mahogany Bay. That was perfectly fine with us...we are on vacation after all and the captain can't control the weather. We were glad Carnival was looking out for our safety and considered it an "adventure at sea" since I knew nothing about Costa Maya or Mahogany Bay. I am a planner and not getting to plan or research these ports normally would have stressed me but it was ok. Carnival gave us lots of information and excursions to choose from and we are beach people anyway so really all we needed to do was find a nice beach and each port and that proved to be pretty easy.

New Orleans was an experience. I would sail from there again but would not go there for more than one day before my cruise. It is just not my favorite city. We ate at AAA Oyster Bar and the food was great. Prices were decent and service was quick and friendly. Then we went to have a hurricane and check out Bourbon street.

We stayed at Wyndham. We did the stay and cruise package. It was $250 (about that) for one night and then we could leave our car there for the week. Hotel was within walking distance of everything we wanted to see in NO so I would recommend this hotel and the package if you are looking for an alternative to the parking garage at the pier. The hotel was clean and the staff was excellent.

We went to Cafe Dumond the next morning. My husband loved it. Me...not so much. Overrated in my opinion. I ended up getting a muffin and coffee at Starbucks.

We took an Uber to the port. Cost was less than $10. They were there quickly and the driver was friendly and efficient. Highly recommend.

Staff at port were super helpful. It wasn't raining yet but it looked like it would start at any moment and they were trying really hard to get the passengers inside quickly.

We checked in and waited in the VIP waiting room. Our wait was only about an hour or so and we were in the first group to go on. One of the advantages of booking a suite.

By 12:30 we were having lunch and then exploring the ship.

Food...it's all subjective. I liked everything I had. Pasta Belle...excellent. Coffee Bar...amazing. (coffee was great, staff even better!), Pizza...great. Buffet...we ate every morning for breakfast and I have zero complaints. But I even like the scrambled eggs that so many people hate. Dinner...took us longer to eat than we were use to but we had a table with 10 people every night so it was to be expected. Our wait staff did an excellent job and the food was awesome. Always several things I would want to try. I would say everything I ordered was great except the lasagna. (but on our last cruse the lasagna was great so...I would order it again)

Room...we had a suite on the 7th floor. It was cleaned twice a day. Our staff, led by David, was great. No complaints. Room was always clean, towels always replenished and he was always visible if we needed anything. (which we didn't)

Cheers...first time getting cheers. LOVED the freedom to try new drinks and not worry about cost on our sign and sail. Will always buy cheers. Best part...coffee every day at the coffee bar.

Ship was clean, easy to navigate and never felt crowded even though I had read lots of reviews about this ship always feeling crowded. We did not experience that. Crowds...yes. Crowded...no. Never waited in line for anything except the comedy club and even then we got in quickly. No problems.

Entertainment...This was the only area that I felt was not fabulous. We love live music but the band that played seemed to only play country. My husband is not a country music fan so this was a disappointment. The shows were just ok. Only one girl and one guy sang at every show and neither were very good. The dancers were great and the sets were amazing but the singers and the music selections were not good and we did not enjoy the shows as much as we have on previous cruises because of this.

The comedians were good...we saw 3 or 4 shows and all of them were good.

The CD was great, it was Jace and he was always around and did a great job at everything we saw.

Service...great. As always on a Carnival ship.

We did not travel with children. Only my husband and myself so I have no information about programs for kids.

We would sail out of NO again and we would go on the dream again.

Disembarkation went as smoothly as can be expected. No complaints.

ledelstein's Full Rating Summary

Ocean Suite

Always clean

Huge with more than enough storage for us

Nice balcony

Bed was very comfortable and room temperature was very cool

ledelstein