3. Rotterdam
This was approximately my fourth cruise with Holland America. I expected better than this cruise. The bathtub wouldn't drain. The sheets had cigarette burns. Half the time the towels were threadbare and like cardboard; the other half they were newer and softer. There was only one plug in the room, for two phones and three tablets. The Front Desk could not get plans or instructions straight for trying. I'd discuss a problem with them, we'd agree on a solution, I watched them key it in the computer --- and nothing. Every day it was like talking to a brick wall. They always had "no record" of the previous discussions even though I watched them input the requests. I would not do the 10 day cruise again -- stick to the 7 day cruise. The last three days were an exercise in wasting time. Or somebody getting kickbacks from the cruise line docking there. The ONLY thing in Percy, is Alexander Graham Bell's house (seen on a distant island) and his museum (which you pay extra to get in to). The ONLY thing in Gaspe is a town 2 blocks long, all in French; French souvenirs and French only clerks, and way overpriced. One day's excursion was 4 hours to a goat farm and @20 goats, and a 20 minute lecture on glass blowing. Getting physcial assistance was like it was somebody else's job; they all stood and looked at each other. Daily. I asked the embarkation if they had our request, "oh yes." Well they might have had the information, but nobody acted on it. Disembarking was discussed with the Front Desk. Yup, they had it. Then several phone calls that they couldn't figure it out. Once we were off the ship, we were on our own, to start the whole process over again with the pier crew, and trying to get to where we needed to be. Nobody knew what the other person's instructions were. Go to this end; no go to that end; no sit here; move here. The food was excellent. The room steward and dining room service was excellent.The bed was excellent.

I expected better from Holland America.

Rotterdam Cruise Review by Mar_53

Mar_53’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Rotterdam price drops

The location of the cabin in mid-ship near an elevator was good. The "ocean view" was a port hole. I specifically requested a "window" which is available on E & F rooms. The ship was only half full, so the room could have been upgraded. Yes, an upgrade was requested.
  Rotterdam Deck Plans

• Boston
    No stopping (city edict), no postcards and no pictures
    View All 666 Boston Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Boston Cruise Port Review
  • Boston
    Took a bus to the center of Lexington and got off --- that was it. Not what I expected from the customer reviews I had read
    View All 666 Boston Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Boston Cruise Port Review
  • Historical Tour
    Charlottetown was the best stop of the whole cruise. However, having said that, this tour was an awful lot of driving and not much seeing. It was the only tour that included the Federation Bridge. The stop at Anne of Green Gables was too rushed; you could see the house OR see the shop. I took the boxed lunch on the bus as there was no time to sit and eat. The boxed lunch was better than the lunch at the Bay of Fundy. I didn't see the point of stopping at North Rustico. The preserve factory had to be an exercise in cruise bonus. There was no point to the stop other than the bus drivers had a draw for a free monthly dinner from the shop and they were friends with the owner, who was having problems staying in business and relied on the added tourists.
    View All 24 Historical Tour Reviews
  • Gaspe
    A LONG winding drive (over an hour) to see a rock formation up close. You could see this formation from the ship. The town was 1 block long. Every souvenir and price was in French and the clerks didn't or wouldn't speak English. A long drive for nothing.
    View All 37 Gaspe Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Gaspe Cruise Port Review
  • Peggy's Cove
    The "town" is a dozen houses. But worth seeing. The scenery was fabulous.Unique shops with souvenirs you won't see anywhere else. One item I wanted was sold out; I emailed the company when I got home and they agreed to mail me the item, very cheerfully.
    View All 210 Peggy's Cove Reviews
  • Kennebunkport
    Enjoyable, short, drive. Pretty town. Easy walking and interesting shops over @3 blocks. Remarkable scenery and good bus guide and naration.
    View All 71 Kennebunkport Reviews
  • Walking Tour
    The tour was @2 hours and covered @4 miles. The historic sites were all on one block, and could be seen from the ship. So the tour was up close. The only place to buy souvenirs was across the street from the Cathedral.
    View All 35 Walking Tour Reviews
  • City Tour, Bay of Fundy, and St. Martin
    Beautiful drive and beautiful scenery. Lunch was disorganized, tasteless, and for having to pay extra for lunch, I expected more than 1/2 a cup of tasteless soup.
    The whole point of the excursion was to see the Bay of Fundy, we had 20 minutes, which was not enough. So you couldn't walk over to the cliffs or caves, and there was no shops at the stop at all; no post cards.
    View All 42 City Tour, Bay of Fundy, and St. Martin Reviews