3. Magellan
We chose this cruise because the dates fitted perfectly for us and we wanted to go to the fjords. The cruise and maritime website prior to embarkation was very useful and the information was received in a timely manner and was informative. The price of this cruise was very good. I gave my review this title because of the reviews I read beforehand, although I always work on the basis that many people who review are either 'rants or ravers' however, I really have to say that it is beyond my comprehension how anyone can find anything about this ship that warrants a negative review! My experience regarding embarkation was very good, not sure how it would be if it was raining as we didn't see any cover. Once at the ship we were very quickly processed. Staff took us to our cabin and we then went off for a drink. We were upgraded, our cabin was at the front of the ship and we like many felt vibration and movement and noticed this through to day 3. Having only ever being on bigger ships this was very noticeable to us. We got the drinks package and it was well worth it for us. We saved the receipts and worked out that it would have cost well over a hundred pound more if we hadn't taken it. I usually only drink red wine but did try a number of cocktails which I really enjoyed. The wine (in my opinion) was beautiful, 14% Tempranillo, I would highly recommend this. We ate in the buffet, had lunch in both restaurants and 1 breakfast in one restaurant. We had dinner in the Kensington. The food was nicely presented in the restaurant and the service was excellent. Dinner was 5 course and lunch was 4, lots of variety and all enjoyable. I couldn't complain about the food at all. The service at the bars and around was first rate. The lectures we attended were good. The shows were average, but this is an entertainment team and not professional performers. We didn't do any excursions, preferring to do our own which were easy enough and significantly cheaper. The seating areas were obviously very busy when everybody was on the ship, however, seats could be found fairly easily and people tended to move around a lot, I didn't see any saving of seats in the lounge areas. I was impressed at the number of staff in all departments, the whole ship is spotless and cleaners were constantly stationed by each toilet area and were always in and out cleaning. I have to mention our wonderful cabin steward who was first rate and such a genuinely nice and discreet chap. I would recommend this ship and company and would go with them again. If you are reading having booked, please do not be worried by anything negative you may have read, go with an open mind and enjoy yourselves. If you want a 5* ship with butler service, you'll have to pay a lot more than the excellent value for money cruise, with 5* staff that you will experience with the Magellan.

Better than expected

Magellan Cruise Review by yorkshireminnie

yorkshireminnie’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

We were surprised at the size of the cabin and also very surprised at the size of the bathroom. The storage space was excellent, I had taken some additional coat hangers and needed to use them. The safe wasn't working when we arrived but was fixed quickly and the hairdryer wasn't great, but we managed, would be difficult for someone with long hair though! People have complained about the cabin walls being very thin (some folks complain about anything) we didn't find it a problem. The cabin was comfortable, although I would have loved a chair!