3. Disney Magic
This was our third cruise for our family of 6 (4 boys, 4,9,10 & 12) with the DCL, but our first on the Magic. We have been on the Wonder and Fantasy in the past. We had adjoining veranda rooms on deck 6 which gave us plenty of space in and outdoors. We have only been on DCL and have always had a veranda as when we took our first cruise I was unsure of how I would deal with being locked inside a floating can! We choose a med cruise as a good way to see Europe with our kids (and for ourselves as well) in a comfortable and familiar way. Our cruise was the tail end of our 2.5 week vacation where we did London, Paris and Barcelona on our own (at a very hectic and break neck pace!). As this was our 3rd time on a DCL boat there was a familiarity and comfort in getting back on board. Food was good as always - I only had one bad meal (chicken fettuccine was dry to my liking), and regret not going with another selection. The sit down meals are very good, with enough selection to fit your taste, but also limited enough to force you to try something different. My 10 year old was experimenting on this trip with new foods, and our waiter brought him a few chicken fingers on the side when he was nervous about his order (just in case he didn't like it). The shows, food, cleanliness (amazingly clean - thank goodness...) game shows and fun stuff for the kids are all well known and live up to the hype and expectations for us returning travelers. My kids spent very little time in the Oceaneer labs/club - it's not their thing - instead opting out for the pools and sports deck, and ice cream. The stand out is always the service, in particular the wait staff, which follows you from dinner to dinner. Being from the Toronto area, we are exposed to great foods from other cultures - my 12 year old, who loves Indian food, mentioned this to our waiter and the next night he had curried chicken, rice and paneer waiting for him for dinner! He was thrilled. We found the boat to be well sized and rarely felt crowded on the decks by the pool etc. The kids loved the slides and my 4 year old loved the splash pad - to be honest the 12, 10 & 9 yr old did as well! I did a few runs down the slide and aquadunk as well - but am getting too old to do the 12-15 in a rows my boys managed (with little to no lines!). We have our own pool, so I get the heebie jeebies about public pools and only went in to hang with the kids or as a 'raft' for my 4 yr old. Watching movies at night by the pool was nice and after we saw the shows and participated in a game show or other family activity we would hit the sports area for some basketball - and usually have the place to ourselves. We took advantage of the discounted Drink of the Day (DOTD) as our alcoholic choice - usually about $6 for some rum, orange, pineapple juice variation - a vacation drink for sure. Breakfasts were great and never crowded (on port days), likely because we went down about 15 mins after the on shore times. When on board we took advantage of the many choices for lunches. The kids stuck to the burgers, fries, chicken strips and pizza offerings, whereas my wife and I enjoyed the wraps and lighter sandwiches, or would hit the buffet for a few items. With all the 'heavy' food being thrown around and big dinners, it was nice to have lighter options. The one thing I missed is a simple bag of chips - Fantasy offers Lays chips as a snack FOC, didn't see any on the Magic. We did not book any excursions with DCL as we had hired our own guides ahead of time who picked us up at the docks and got us to the places we wanted to see and more. The pricing is at least 1/3 of the DCL pricing and in our case the experiences were custom and personal (we had GREAT guides). The DCL tours charge a fee for kids, despite the fact that many of the museums and sights in Europe do not have a fee for kids under 18. We had booked this cruise while on the last one - which gave us a 10% discount and a $200 on board credit per room (we had 2 rooms), so there was no sticker shock for all the booze charges, gratuities and on board expenses when we got our bill at the end. We put a deposit on another cruise before we left - probably the best endorsement I could give.

Great way to see Europe for a family of 6

Ages 10 to 12
Get Disney Magic price drops

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah
Cabin 05C 6044 & 6046
Adjoining rooms with adjoining balconies gave us plenty of space and even some privacy for the six of us. Always clean, in great to excellent condition, everything always worked. Only downside is those Disney Cartoons that play non stop and suck the kids in when you are trying to get the ready to go to dinner or an excursion!
Deck 6 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins