3. Carnival Spirit
I chose this cruise for my Birthday and after 16 cruises this would be my first where I would actually have a cake and celebrate it on the day. I also chose Carnival as I had in the past had such great times. Embarkation was smooth although I found the staff a bit abrupt saying it was too early and what time was on my form. We were made to stand in a line for about 45 minutes till there was no one left in the other que even though there was not that many to begin with they just kept coming filing past us, Never had this happen to us before. I did request an early embarkation as this was the only time our bus company offered us for this cruise. So we waited. Once allowed in everything went relatively smoothly and we boarded the ship in no time. Our room was ready and all went well. We chose an inside room and found the beds to be twin not together, we decided to leave it this way as it gave the room so much more space. The room was a little warn and old looking, en suite was spacious as was the wardrobe space and extra hangers. I was a bit confused though when our room steward asked us what time would prefer our room done, It seems now Carnival only do your room once a day. Inconvenient for us as we like to shower in the afternoon just before dinner. If we pick PM it's done while we are at dinner but the beds stay unmade all day till then also if we wish to re shower after a big night out no clean towels. The days of constant Ninja stealth house keeping has gone it seems. The choices in the dining room had also dropped and I found that most of my meals consisted of Caesar salad as not much more appealed, I also found the desserts not as good as before. This was cruise No 4 with Carnival and 2 on the Spirit 48 cruise nights all up. On the 2nd sea day I slipped on a freshly mopped floor and damaged my knee. It seems My Dr Scholl orthopedic shoes with synthetic auto grip soles stood no chance. The boy, mop in hand was very apologetic. It took passengers not crew to help me up, after more apologies from the boy he then put out the caution wet floor sign and got his supervisor who asked me if I was OK. He then kept asking if I needed a medic but as I was in shock and considerable pain could not quite grasp what I needed to say. a Kind lady passenger then came with some Ice and helped me telling me clearly I needed a medic. A wheel chair was ordered and down I went to have x-rays done where my husband was given a form to state he would meet all costs of the consultation which he signed. No sign of a break but could hardly walk and it had started to swell. I was told to stay off it and take panadol or nurefen all I has was codine and he said that was fine. I spent the rest of this cruise limited to my room or sitting. Sadly my snorkeling and all Island tours had to be cancelled, they did refund all our money as I could not leave the ship and sadly not like our last cruise to Hawaii on the Legend never off the dance floor.. We also could not buy anything as we did not know how much the medic would cost so no Fathers day or birthday presents purchased on board. Trying to let any of these incidents get to us we made the best of the ship. All of the crew bar 1 were fantastic, the bar staff went out of their way to make us feel special, the stage shows were for the most part repeats, costumes and stage unbelievably great but the show singers and dancing not so much. Red Frog and Shanghai bar were great both the Piano guy and Manila Band entertained brilliantly Comedy club was quite funny in the beginning but found the new arrivals not so funny and a bit crass. The bar staff in the Atrium were my favorite but it was too close to call, they were all fabulous bar 1. We had a run in with a Bar tender in the Pharaoh's Lounge - well to be honest not a run in as much as we placed and order with him and he did not bring it. Later that night in the comedy club he saw us again and avoided us. Next night he took the order of people sitting next to us turned and walked in the other direction then delivered their drinks from row behind so as not to come near us again. We found this confusing and a little funny and always managed to get drinks from other bar staff till we were asked to separate on one of the shows, ladies on one side men on the other. I sat in between 2 other groups of women. He came and stood directly in front of me blocking my view of the stage and I just looked away feeling a bit threatened but I told myself to stop being silly, he then served the women on either side of me then walked off. He returned with their drinks and again stood directly in front of me I found this very confronting and decided to look at him and found him glaring at me and I was quite shaken. What it did though was give me a chance to read his name tag.. Very tall and bald and Asian in appearance. When I settled down I got up and returned to my husband and we left the show. I thought about a formal complaint but have heard how staff close rank and did not want this to spoil my birthday day. The next day my husband started to get sick, Flue like symptoms, bad sinus and headache. He took antibiotics and we confined ourselves keeping away form other people. We noticed though that this was not just him, it seemed to be every where we looked, people couching and sneezing. Last day of cruise and we are off to dinner for my birthday. My husband says to our waiter it's my birthday and he says oh I'll organize something, we sat for ages after our meal and the girls that shared the table said they would make him get a cake, They waved and called out to them but they just turned their heads. If you have to make someone do it - it's just not the same. They did not come anywhere near us till we got up to leave, as we were walking off they magically stepped out in front of us when we were in the corridor and shook our hands obviously looking for their tip. $50.00 which we kept in lieu of the cake which they seemed to not provide along with NO Happy birthday or apology for disappearing after dinner. Another co-incident is that in 3 out of 4 cruises with Carnival we have come off with this really bad bronchial pneumonia - cruise cough. It also seems that you have to take your own luggage off the ship now unless you are physically unable ie in a wheelchair. So this was my cruise - A Very Sad And Not So Happy Ann

Disappointing

Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Seanna

• Sail Date: August 2016
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Interior

I also chose Carnival as I had in the past had such great times.

The days of constant Ninja stealth house keeping has gone it seems.

This was cruise No 4 with Carnival and 2 on the Spirit 48 cruise nights all up.

On the 2nd sea day I slipped on a freshly mopped floor and damaged my knee.

So this was my cruise - A Very Sad And Not So Happy Ann
Seanna’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Spirit price drops

Interior
Cabin 4A 7323
We chose an inside room and found this one both quiet and convenient, close to both stairs and lifts and just above Serenity and Buffet. Would recommend this room.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins