Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review

Disappointing

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review by RedRaiderFan

• Sail Date: Jun 2016
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean

We booked the Harmony of the Seas as our first Royal Caribbean cruise after being frequent Disney Cruise Liners. Harmony of the Seas is a beautiful ship! There is always something going on and a new area to discover. We traveled with my parents (age 55)and my husband and I. The stops were great and the reason we booked the cruise in the first place. I highly recommend these ports!

We were only the 3rd cruise on this ship so I know they were still working out some of the kinks, but many of our issues seemed like a problem with the cruise line itself.

The food was pretty terrible. We had been traveling in Europe for a week so we were really looking forward to eating some "cruise" food. The mashed potatoes and white rice with soy sauce became the only decent thing I would eat during lunch at Windjammer. For 4 days I ate white rice at lunch. I am not a picky eater at all the food was that bad.

Our stateroom was beautiful and we had a balcony that we enjoyed every morning and evening. The AC did not work properly in our room so that was a problem. Our room host was so helpful and put in two maintenance requests for us. We also went to guest services to report and they promised a follow up call which never came. The air finally started working. When I called down to let guest services know since they never called us they stated we had not closed our balcony properly so the AC would not work until it was correctly closed. WELL MAKE A SIGN ON THE FIRST DAY ON THE BED OR SOMETHING! I have no idea if it was us or the AC that wasn't working, but we had several other guests tell us they were having the same issues so who knows. Our room host checked our door several times so I doubt it was us. Who knows!

The service was terrible. On our day in Rome all of the hot tubs were closed at the same time 6pm for cleaning. 5000 people had just spent the day in Rome walking in the heat and they closed all of the spaces to relax. The 3 pools were packed and we went to guest services to complain, but they did not seem to concerned. I did hear one of the managers asking the pool attendant why he was cleaning them all at the same time so I am sure this was fixed.

Dining service was ok. We were not a fan of my time dining. After the third night we finally had a good wait staff so we started requesting them. Food was always so so.

The cruise director staff was laughable. Several times we would attend trivia or mini golf tournaments and the staff would barely speak to the guests, but they would spend lots of time on their phone. One staff member told me he didn't like working on the Harmony because it is so much work and on the smaller boats he doesn't have to do as much.

They are selling or upselling something at every turn. We felt like we were constantly being asked for money. When we have cruised with Disney it is all included except alcohol so having only one or two restaurants to choose from was disappointing. We had already paid a lot for this cruise so $50 more every night at dinner was not an option.

Disney is our cruise line and will be again. We are considering one more RC since the dates fit better with where and when we want to travel, but we will see. I called guest services after our cruise and received a credit 2 weeks later so that is the only reason we will even consider it. Disney does it right with food and service. RC could take some notes.

RedRaiderFan's Full Rating Summary

Pisa Walking Tour

Bring water. Walk is not too far, but lots of crowds.

View All 88 Pisa Walking Tour Reviews
Private Tour

Lots of walking, but worth it to cut in front of the lines. Bring water! Food at lunch was great!

View All 157 Private Tour Reviews
Pompeii Walking Tour

Lots of walking but great history to see.

View All 505 Pompeii Walking Tour Reviews