3. Caribbean Princess
Great cruise, wonderful ports, great staff, ship in good condition. Food only fair to good (but not that I went hungry). We had wanted to do an overview tour of the British Isles, but unlike most of our Europe vacations, we weren't keen on driving on the opposite side of the road. We also didn't want to schlep luggage on and off trains and planes. This cruise stops at many of the major destinations in Great Britain and Ireland. It was wonderful to unpack once and spend 12 great days on the Caribbean Princess. We had cabin F305--which was reviewed here on CC about 6 to 9 months ago. All the problems mentioned have been fixed. It is a window suite--all the amenities of a suite, but about the same as a mini. As the days on shore were long, weather expected to be cool (which wasn't really true), we didn't see the need to have a balcony. Michael, our cabin steward was excellent. As Sabatini's generally didn't open for breakfast early enough most days, we ordered breakfast in the room. There is a full breakfast menu to select from. The server from room service was within minutes of our selected time. (note that card gives a range, I always wrote a specific time.) Just reminder to put down everything you want--if you want jam with your toast, don't forget to request it. We did private excursions with others from our roll call except in Dublin and Liverpool where we did it on our own. All the excursions, except one, was excellent. We had great weather except for a few hours on a couple of days. We brought full length raincoats with us and only used them on the day we left London (we spent 5 days post cruise) and put them on because it was easier than carrying them. It was a bit cool and sprinkling rain--the drop off area was about 200 feet from Terminal 2 due to construction. I would really rate this 4 1/2 stars--but not an option. I thought the food was fair to good but not fabulous. We ate dinner in Sabatini's twice and Crown Grill once-service was outstanding but food was certainly not $29 each better than the dining room. We had anytime dining--we were always seated quickly--sometimes with others, other times just the two of us. Two nights we ate in the buffet--first time every in my 20 plus cruises. One night I was too tired from our long shore excursion to get cleaned up for the dining room; the other night we thought we would try the seafood buffet--which was good and looked better than the selection in the dining room. I certainly didn't go hungry--but there was nothing (except for the bread) that I thought wow--I have to get this again. Billy HIghgate (?) was the cruise director. Did not see him other than on stage after the show in the Princess Theater. (BTW--the new show, Bravo, was excellent!) There are only two sea days so perhaps he would be more visible/active with more sea days. He has been our CD in the past and he told the same old jokes on the morning TV program.

Excellent itinerary, great staff, wonderful weather.

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by PatriciaF

PatriciaF’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Window Suite
Cabin S7 F305
F305 was subject of a pretty nasty review here a few months ago. All noted issues have been fixed. Our cabin steward was excellent (he had just returned to the ship after two months at home.) Large roomy sleeping/sitting area and huge bathroom with separate tub and shower, dual sinks. More storage than we could fill up. There was some noise from the stabilizers the one night we had 40 knot winds going around the north of Scotland. The couch needs improvement--the seat cushions do not stay on the couch--but slip out. Same issue with the same style couch in a window suite on the Golden Princess. Cabin is very quiet and close to everything. Came with free access to the thermal suite that we used once--nice--but no where as big as the thermal suite on Celebrity. I don't recommend this cabin class--as I like them to be available for me to book.
Fiesta Deck Suite Cabins

• Belfast
    Excellent guide, best looking and best dressed of all those waiting at the port. While the tour name was Game of Thrones, it essentially does the same things the other tours do, but the guide provide the info as it relates to the TV show. Of our group of 6, only my husband was a regular viewer--but we stopped at Dark Hedges, Dunluce Castle, Giants Causeway, Ballintoy Harbor, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge. Breathtaking scenery--not to be missed.
    View All 12,995 Belfast Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Belfast Cruise Port Review
  • Cobh (Cork)
    We did a trip to Blarney Castle and Kinsale with eCoach. Price about 1/2 of the ship's excursion and included admission to the castle.

You are doing this tour on a bus--so there are about 40 people joining you. Driver was excellent and very knowledgeable. We were one of the first big groups there and it still took those who climbed the stairs to kiss the Blarney Stone about 1 1/2 hours to do so. My husband wanted to do it, but after standing in line 20 minutes and moving about 10 feet, we left and explored the rest of the castle area.
    View All 353 Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Review
  • Dublin
    Princess offered a transfer into the city for $8 each way/per person to Dublin. The drop off point was centrally located and easy to walk to the castle, cathedral, and Temple Bar area from it.
    View All 289 Dublin Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Dublin Cruise Port Review
  • Edinburgh (South Queensferry)
    Tour was disorganized and driver, while he seemed to know Edinburgh, didn't seem to have a clue on what to do. This company has a two hour circle drive through tour of Edinburgh and I think that this is what this driver usually did. It started on a sour note because the guide had a sign with his name on it--the person who organized the tour talked to him and we were initially told, not that wasn't our tour. After standing in some cold wind and on and off sprinkles, the guide decided he was our driver/guide. The tour was suppose to include one stop outside town and the highlights of the city, with 2 1/2 hours on our own and transfer back to port. As we were 30 minutes late leaving the port, we did a stop of one castle outside Edinburgh (not Roslyn Chapel were I thought we were going to)--first place he stopped the castle was blocked by trees and the second we were far away. We did a bathroom/snack shop at a shopping center where we could overlook the Royal Yacht. Then some more driving and dropped some of us off at the Castle. The ones who remained on the bus had a 2 1/2 hour driving tour of Edinburgh with a 15 minute stop for ice cream. THEN--on the way back to the ship, the driver announced he hadn't taken his mandatory break, so we stopped at a seaside village for 30 minutes. If we would have known what this tour ended up being, we would have just taken the shuttle from the pier (10 pounds round trip (or return as it is said over there) and used the Hop On Hop Off bus.
    View All 12,995 Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Cruise Port Review
  • Greenock (Glasgow)
    Private tour with Discover Scotland Tours. Loch Lomond and Sterling Castle were the highlights.
    View All 230 Greenock (Glasgow) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Greenock (Glasgow) Cruise Port Review
  • Invergordon (Inverness)
    Outstanding, knowledgeable guide. This guide (David Fyfe) knows his history and makes it enjoyable. We had only 6 people, so very flexible in what we did and saw. We saw many of the locales used for the Outlander series, including the stones, the castle, the town. Again, stunning scenery.
    View All 12,995 Invergordon (Inverness) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Invergordon (Inverness) Cruise Port Review
  • D-Day Beaches
    I had visited the D-Day beaches on a tour of them through Viking that I did with a girlfriend. However, this was on my husband's must do list. It was a great tour with a wonderful guide--the owner of the company, Andy Sutherland. Very knowledgeable and very passionate about the sites and the meaning and impact on the world. The company had just taken possession of new mini-buses from Ford. The seating was very tight--made more for slender folks--and most of us did not fit that description. Our row was on the wheel well, so if you had the window seat, you had almost no leg room. My husband is tall, so he always gets the aisle. Four across in the back row--the four in that row joked that they didn't need to fasten their seat belts as they were as tight as sardines. The big uncomfortable seating was the only downside.
    View All 65 D-Day Beaches Reviews
  • Liverpool
    It was a busy Sunday in Liverpool. Last day of a 3 day music festival, bank holding weekend, great sunny weather. Plenty to see within a 10 minute walk of the ship--the Beatles Story (our first stop and still a 20 minute wait in line), Tate Liverpool (very modern art), Maritime Museum, and Slavery Museum--plus others. We had planned to take the ferry on the Mersey--but the line was LONG!
    View All 112 Liverpool Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Liverpool Cruise Port Review
  • Southampton
    Easy pick up and great tour from the ship to Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge (but no audio guide available due to a mix up per our guide), and Windsor Castle. While not enough time to fully experience Stonehenge and Windsor Castle, it was enough to see and experience the major highlights. We were the next to last couple to be dropped off, so we also got a driving tour of London.

We had also booked a Princess transfer from Heathrow to the port as we arrived the same day as the cruise. Easy to find the Princess reps, short wait for our bus, about 90 minutes drive, and easy disembarkation.
    View All 12,995 Southampton Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Southampton Cruise Port Review
  • St. Peter Port (Guernsey)
    Annette Henry, lifetime Guernsey resident gives an excellent walking tour of the town of St. Peter's Port. She is very knowledgable of the island and has some personal relevations about the time under German occupation. Be aware that the town is hilly and it is impossible to avoid climbing stairs or inclines to see almost anything in town. We should have done the 1 pound Sterling bus trip around the island, but we were pretty tired due to the jet lag. The tender trip over and back was smooth and we did not need to wait too long for the ride back.
    View All 12,995 St. Peter Port (Guernsey) Cruise Port Reviews