3. American Queen
My river cruise on the American Queen was one of the best things I've ever done and that's saying a lot after a 35-year airline career! A Mississippi River paddlewheeler has been on my bucket list since the Delta Queen and Mississippi Queen (predecessors to the American Queen) had been plying the same waters. The pre-departure day in St. Louis afforded me the opportunity to go up in the Gateway Arch, another check-off on my bucket list, so I was already happy before I even boarded the beautiful American Queen the next afternoon. The AQSC has thought through all of the details and logistics which were carried out without a hitch from bus transfers to and from the boat on both ends to the Hop-on-Hop-off buses which followed us on the road as we cruised the river overnight and were waiting for us each morning at the next port-of-call to take us on the city tour, narrated by knowledgeable locals. The steamboat is beautifully appointed yet comfortable and homey. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in away from home and the full-sized bathroom fixtures were a welcome surprise. My favorite place to eat was the Front Porch Cafe. Looked forward to the oversized cookies and a Coke after my city tours and soft-serve iced cream quickly became a bedtime snack. The meals were delicious and the staff friendly and attentive. In fact, staff throughout the boat was professional, friendly and helpful. Can't wait to plan my next itinerary on another portion of the river with AQSC...soon!

One of the Best Things I've Ever Done!

American Queen Cruise Review by Bonnie R

Bonnie R’s Full Rating Summary
Get American Queen price drops

Overall the cabin was above expectations after ocean cruising on one of the majors. The queen bed and pillows were some of the best I've slept on away from home. Plenty of hanging and drawer space. Bottled water appreciated. Full-sized bathroom shower/sink/toilet great. Hand towel holder and toiletries rack well-placed and useful. I'm a stickler for clean floor corners and these could use a little more attention. Something in the room with a lighted time display would have been nice since 353 is a dark, inside room. TV channel selection basic, missed The Hallmark Channel for my Sunday night series. "Welcome" coverlet nice touch.