3. Radiance of the Seas
Called RC to book this cruise a year in advance. There were 3 couples going. Booked the flights through RC too. All three of our flights got changed before the cruise. I personally think I will book my own flights from now on. They screwed up the return flight for my brother. 2 hours on the phone the last night to fix it. We flew into Vancouver. To go through customs was a nightmare. The lines were SUPER long. They even had the overflow lines filled up. Because we were going on a Cruise Tour to Alaska not only did we have to go through Canadian Customs were had to go through US Customs right after. Once we cleared both customs we were not sure where to go. Not enough people from Royal Caribbean to direct us. I have been on Radiance many times. We try to go to Alaska once a year. Every year the ship changes. NOT for the better. They keep changing the spaces to make room for their "new specialty restaurants and private clubs". Taking away from the places you can go and relax. There used to be a Martini Bar, gone now. There used to be a Bistro in the center, gone now. In the Stardust room on the 13th floor we used to sit and watch for whales. They took part of the area out for a private club. Now you can only see the ocean from one side looking for wild life. The buffet used to include the areas now turned into two different specialty restaurants. Less seating and less food selection spots. The dining room food had definitely gone down hill. Used to have a selection of appetizer, soup, salad, and main course. Now you have an appetizer and main course. If you order two appetizers they are frustrated. Sometimes you don't get both that you ordered. The choices are more limited and not real appetizing. My husband complained almost every night. On lobster night, he had sand in his lobster. Why they don't give you two lobster tails I don't know because they are so small they are like two shrimp. The quality of the steaks was SUB PAR. They were tough and full of fat. There were not enough bar staff for the dining room. I think we had two new guys. They tried but they need more experience. Someone needs to show they how to work more efficiently. We always get a balcony room. For some reason our room was much smaller than before, the balcony glass was hard to see through and they did not vacuum because I kept stepping on the same piece of plastic. We have always enjoyed the variety of shows they have on board. One of the reasons we go on RC. VERY disappointed this time. My husband could not get over the fact that the trumpet player could not hit the high notes. The quality of the entertainment was not good. They have had some FANTASTIC shows in the past. Cutting corners. They renovated the theater. Seats are smaller and the drink holders will not hold a martini glass without spilling. The space is so small you can not walk past anyone with stepping on their feet. RC spent a lot of time pushing their Art Shows. When we landed in Seward you have to get off the ship pretty early. In the past they have had muffins, donuts and other things to eat if you did not make it down to the very crowded dining room for breakfast. This time all they had was water, coffee and tea. I love the ports. 6 of us did the combo zip line, whale watching tour. Be careful on the zip line in Icy Strait. They tell you they will give you goggles if you wear glasses because lots of people have lost their glasses in the wind. Well they are so busy getting you strapped in and getting you going that my did not give them to my sister in law and she lost her glasses in the first few seconds. No she did not have a second pair. We had two very young men doing the whale watching tour and sorry to say they were terrible. I have gone many times and this was the worst one. They did not seem very interested in getting close enough for us to see them. I don't mean on top of them but not a mile away either. The jet boat in Skagway was a HOOT!! Loved it. But don't expect to see any wild life. You go fast and do wheelies but most of the shore is rock. You see several waterfalls up close but no real animals. That was a disappointment because that is why we booked it. I think it is false advertising. The trip to Mendenhall Glacier is well worth it. One hour is not enough time to see it. You need to have at least 2 or 21/2 hours to explore it. The walk to the glacier and waterfall is about 1 mile. Not a hard walk. My husband and brother went salmon fishing in Ketchikan. My brother caught two fish. The cost to send them home was more than the excursion. Remember that if you want to go fishing. We signed up for the Cruise Tour part of this Cruise. Won't do that again. No Communication. I believe RC passed us off the a private contractor. We were picked up in Seward by a motor coach. We had the same driver and tour guide for the three day land cruise. RC gave us very little information about the land part so it was really hard to plan financially for that part. You had to pay for your own meals, Alaska prices are high. No sales tax. You have to pay tips in cash. You didn't know what excursions were available or how much they cost until you got off the ship and got on the bus. We had a excursion into Denali National Park that came with the tour. If you wanted to go further into the park it cost you an extra $70 per person. I was not happy about that but we did pay the extra and go further into the park. It is 8 hours on a bus. It is a dirt and gravel road with spectacular views!! WELL WORTH IT. We saw 7 bears, caribou, dall sheep, and on the way back to our hotel, a mother moose and her two juvenile off spring. Best thing about our entire trip. I will not go on RC to Alaska again. I might go on RC to the Caribbean because they are newer ships that have been designed the space for all those extras.

Go to Alaska but not on Radiance of the Seas

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by Pegatha5

• Sail Date: August 2016
  • Destination: Alaska

Pegatha5’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas price drops

Very small compared to our past ones. Thought I was getting the same size?? My past balcony room had a bigger balcony and bigger room. Bathroom smelled for some reason.
  Radiance of the Seas Deck Plans

• Whale Watching
    We booked the combo to same money. Zip lining and whale watching. The zip lining was a HOOT, BUT... they said they would provide goggles for those of us wearing glasses. They were so busy trying to get you strapped in and ready to go that they did not get my sister in law her goggles and in the first few seconds after leaving the platform she lost her glasses. No she did not have a second pair. The whale watching was with two young men. It was on a smaller boat than the giant one for all the other whale watching people. That could have been a great thing had we had some experienced driver and tour guide. They would not get close enough for us to get pictures without telephoto lenses. They would just sit there waiting for the whales to come to us. This was the worst whale watching I have been on.
    View All 146 Whale Watching Reviews
  • Mendenhall Glacier
    Very beautiful. About a mile walk to the glacier and waterfall. Well worth the walk. Not a hard walk. Need at least a couple of hours. If you do a combo tour you will only get an hour here, not enough time. Book this as a separate excursion so you have time to explore.
    View All 889 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
  • Mount Roberts Tramway
    Beautiful sights from way up on top. The walk around the area is very steep. No for those who have trouble walking or breathing. The day we went the winds were gusting. Of my group of 6 I was the only one who attempted to go higher.
    View All 237 Mount Roberts Tramway Reviews
  • Fishing
    The biggest expense is if you catch something having shipped home. Cost more than the excursion.
  • Boat Tour
    This was an open jet boat. It was a lot of fun!!! They make you wear a full yellow suit that keeps you warm and helps you float if need be. They provide you with gloves, goggles, hat. I was very warm. Don't expect to see any wildlife. They are some great waterfalls they you get up real close to but even though they hug the shoreline it is all rock so you will not see any wildlife. We did see some seals sunning on a rock but that is it. But the ride was a blast.