3. Ruby Princess
People who say the food is good on this ship have very low standards! I went on this cruise expecting some really special dining and was SO disappointed. The coffee is colored water. I bought a coffee card due to this. Even then, I had to order a cup of coffee with two extra shots to get it to taste like the Starbucks I buy every day. I bought a drink card and was disappointed to see the Coke watery and tasteless. Really??!! Is is that hard to get Coke right?!! There was not a decent dessert (well maybe the cheesecake) on the entire trip from Horizon buffet to Crown Grill. I love desserts and there was not one where I was thinking, "gee, I'd like the recipe". No it was, "this isn't worth the calories!) The stuff they call ice cream is some soft serve stuff that they put other junk into; like maybe one night they put in some coconut and pecans and call it Praline Ice Cream. Yuck. There was nothing there that resembled REAL ice cream. We went to the Crown Grill one night looking forward to a decent meal ($30/person extra) and got the toughest steak I have ever encountered. Neither my husband nor me could cut through it with a steak knife. The lobster was SO nothing special. (By the way, if you want vegetables, you have to ask for them because they will bring you one piece of carrot and two slices of zuchinni.) One night I ordered veal scallopini and got two pieces of rubber. I had heard about the all you can eat shrimp and was really looking forward to that! The shrimp in every dining room was rubbery and limp denoting freezing and unfreezing. Disgusting. Same with the vegetables in the buffet...limp. The breakfast pastries were tough, dry, and tasteless, and the breakfast muffins, too. And they offered the same old stuff every morning; it didn't matter what dining room you were in. The bread was hard and dry. I was looking forward to maybe some Chinese, Thai, Mexican, or Italian, but no. I was really expecting food to be better than Souplantation, but Souplantation wins. This is what I learned if I ever go again: eat what the servers recommend. They know what's going to be BETTER and probably what's not. I always ordered what I WANTED from the menu and not what they SUGGESTED. Get what they SUGGEST. The buffet simply can't be helped; it must be blown up! I have never seen SO much food wasted in my entire life. If you hear people giving kudos to the food, it is for QUANTITY, NOT QUALITY. Trays and trays full of food were whisked away presumably because people took what looked good, took one bite, and moved on to something else. The free pizza up by the pool is dough, sauce, cheese and a few pieces of pepperoni. Free is all I can say. I got a cheeseburger by the pool and it was dry, dense, and tasteless. Threw it away. Got a bratwurst; threw that away. Almost no salads are provided in the dining rooms except a small Caesar with wilted lettuce. If I ever go on another cruise, at least I will be prepared; my expectations will be right down there with everyone else. Don't go for the food. And take your own hairdryer because theirs are USELESS. Beds were comfortable, service was very good. I felt bad for the waiters when they would ask "how is your food?" What can you say? It isn't their fault! Waiters were all very nice, and stateroom service was great. Beware, we were traveling three to a room and were not warned that one of us would have to climb a ladder and sleep in the loft. Nowhere was this mentioned! Magic show was good, comedian was good, excursion to glacier was good; got to see a black bear mama with her cubs catching salmon. Got a photo of a porcupine and a bald eagle. The ice chunks are blue and the mountains beautiful but there is very little of that. Line dancing was fun. Our excursion in Victoria started at 7pm so we couldn't see out the windows of the bus; pitch black. Don't know what they were thinking. I was hoping to see more of the world and really only got to see the inside of LOTS of trinket shops. If you don't drink and don't gamble or have lots of money to buy diamonds and perfume and overpriced artwork, there isn't a lot to do. The redeeming part of this trip was getting to spend time with my family; that is really where it's at anyway.

Don't go for the food!

Looking4somethingspecial’s Full Rating Summary
Get Ruby Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC 518
Good. Our stateroom server was ninja-like. He came and went but I never saw him, but our room was always immaculate and prepped, with fresh towels, clean sheets, and chocolates on the bed. No one told us, however, that one of us would have to climb a ladder and sleep in a loft. The drain in the shower clogged. The hairdryers provided have no power and no cool shot. Anyone who styles their hair with a hairdryer had better bring their own because the ones provided were useless. If you ask, they will bring you a bathrobe so you don't have to pack one. We had a balcony, but for the most part while you are at sea, all you can see is the sea; no scenery. I thought we would spend time out there but we didn't.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Mendenhall Glacier
    Not a lot to see. You hike up a mile and see a waterfall and the end of a glacier. The best part was watching a mama black bear with her three cubs catching salmon. We also saw a couple of porcupines up in the trees. I got a great picture of a bald eagle way up in a tree. Didn't go in the book shop building. Spent all our time waiting for mama bear to wake up. That was worth it.
    View All 876 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
  • Ketchikan
    Nothing to do but go in trinket shops
    View All 1,764 Ketchikan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ketchikan Cruise Port Review
  • Skagway
    We didn't think it was worth the money to take a train ride so we walked through the shops. Again, gobs of trinket shops and jewelry stores who all admit that when the tourists leave, they close. Again, worth the time spent with my family but nothing all that great. They did have a wonderful quilt shop here that was worth it for me. They had some beautiful batiks of bears, fish, eagles and the like. Bought some fabric and patterns. This town does also have an actual antique store which was very nice and different from all the other stores.
    View All 1,107 Skagway Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Skagway Cruise Port Review
  • Craigdarroch Castle
    I love historic homes so I enjoyed this tour very much. Unfortunately, the ship didn't dock till 7pm so by the time we got on the bus it was dark. The driver took us all around the area, but it would have been nice to see it all in the daylight. The castle was great but we couldn't spend much time there because we had to back on the ship, so I took pictures of every room and scrutinized them later. Bad timing for an excursion.
    View All 34 Craigdarroch Castle Reviews