3. Carnival Breeze
This was our first time sailing with Carnival and we were more than pleasantly surprised. Everything about this ship, the itinerary, the crew, the food, the rooms were outstanding. I read several CC reviews about the Carnival Breeze prior to sailing and I can't believe that we were sailing the same ship. We've cruised on NCL and Royal and we had a far better experience on Carnival than our 4 previous cruises combined. Carnival exceeded our expectations on so many levels. My family agrees...we had a blast! We're beginning to think maybe it's time some of the "critics" of the Carnival Breeze learn to tame their unreasonable expectations. No cruise snobs here. Carnival was wonderful for the value and it's easy to see why they are so popular with families! We flew to Houston the day before and arrived in Galveston at dinner time. We opted to stay at the San Luis where we enjoyed an overpriced (even by NY standards) dinner in their famous steakhouse, went swimming in their very large pool that evening but then opted for IHOP the next morning prior to embarkation, Note to self: save a few bucks and stay at the Holiday Inn in Galveston. Since we were in an Ocean Suite we enjoyed Priority VIP access on embarkation which made getting on the ship a breeze. No real issues except we couldn't find a porter at the port to take our bags and we ended up schlepping all our luggage on the ship ourselves. Regardless of this mishap, we were on the ship in less than an hour and never had to wait for our bags to arrive. Note to self - look for the guys in the same "Hawaiian Shirts" they blended in too well with the folks boarding the ship for us to notice. My husband booked the reservation last minute and then when the Ugrade Fairy called he upgraded us from a balcony to an Ocean Suite, which was the perfect size for three people. The OS room was huge with a walk in closet and plenty of closet space and extra storage for 3 people. The bathroom was more than sufficient with the Jacuzzi tub, double sink and extra drawer space. Not your typical cramped cruise ship bathroom. There was plenty of storage throughout the room with extra drawers next to the fridge and the desk area and two small bedside tables had space to put items as well. The Ocean Suite never felt cramped with two adults and a not so small tween. Our cabin steward "Carlos" was outstanding and no request ever went unanswered and his extra added touches made our stay that much more enjoyable. I threw my back out on Wednesday of our trip and he made sure I had ample ice morning, noon and night for the remainder of the trip. Carlos was the sweetest, kindest gentleman we have ever had the privilege to meet. He was wonderful! The Ocean Suite will be our room of choice going forward for sure. The Breeze is a very large ship and is laid out very nicely. It's a big ship so be prepared to walk if you have a forward cabin. Most of the fun is either on deck 5 near the nicely decorated Atrium or up on Deck 10 on the Lido deck. The Lido deck is complete with pool areas, bars, Guy's Burger Joint, Blue Iguana Café and a Red Frog Bar. The Marketplace Buffet, Pizza Pirate are in the aft portion of the deck, along with another bar and the Tides Pool, which, is supposed to be "adults only" but no one really complained about a few kids here and there. The music back there was more jazz and mellow where the main pool area in front of the Marketplace was always hopping with lots of crowds, contests and blaring music. They held "Dive In" movies twice every night here (weather permitting) and there was plenty of entertainment throughout the week in this location. The Sports deck was a few decks up on 12 and there was plenty of activities, like basketball, mini golf, ropes course, etc., to keep the big kids and little kids busy. Our son spent the majority of his days up on the Sports Deck during the day and Kids Club at night. He loved the Breeze and he met so many kids from different parts of the country and a lovely young man from the UK. He can't wait until our next cruise and he has already stated his preference for our next trip to be on a the Carnival Vista! Dining on the Carnival Breeze was outstanding. We ate most of our morning meals in the Lido Marketplace save for the Sea Day Brunch in Blush on two sea days. The buffet had a variety of choices for breakfast and the omlette station was always busy. The fresh fruit was always in abundance and there seemed to be enough interesting choices for everyone. Carnival has great coffee too! I savored every cup of nice hot coffee every morning! We also enjoyed Guy's Burgers, a tad salty for my taste, and the Pizza Pirate for lunch most days. One day we had Bonsai Sushi for lunch. an incredible value and their spicy tuna rolls were on par with some of our best sushi places we frequent in NYC and Brooklyn! Since we like flexibility we chose my time dining we were directed to eat in the Sapphire Dining Room every evening and we're so glad we did! The food was always delicious and the choices were always interesting and too many to choose from. Our waiter Suba and his team made our meals extra special every night and they remembered our choices for dessert from the night before and our drink choices with our meals each night as well. We loved the food so much in Sapphire that we ended up cancelling our reservation in Fahrenheit 555 on the final night just so we could be with Suba and his team. Every meal we had from the lobster tail the first night to the prime rib on the final night and every meal in between was outstanding. We live in NYC and dine in some of the better restaurants on occasion. This food was on par with some of the best places we've eaten in NYC. The flat iron steak was always cooked perfectly as was my prime rib the last night of our trip. The infamous "Carnival Molten Chocolate Cake" was our family's favorite, so much so I asked and was promptly given a copy of the recipe. Overall we couldn't say we had a single bad meal on board the Carnival Breeze! Since this was my time to rest and renew I opted for the "spa pass" and made good use of the spa, gym and showering facilities in the ladies locker room. The spa was smaller than what I'm used to on other ships, but the staff was always friendly and accommodating and respected my wishes at every turn to never really push me to try a treatment or get a massage. They were visible throughout the ship on port days but I never felt pressured for the hard sell on any spa services, something I appreciated very much. There was a glitch with an extra "spa pass" added to our account, but the girls in the spa were quick to fix this mistake and Guest Services assured us our account would be credited and it was. We mainly walked around the ship or played bingo on sea days and my husband bought a pass to the movie theater, so this trip we never really sought out the shows in the Ovation Theater. We did enjoy the occasional string quartet in the Atrium, but weren't really drawn to any of the other venues or evening shows. Again, this was a cruise to recharge our batteries and get us through the end of the school year. Mission accomplished! For our excursion in Montego Bay, we went to the Hilton, Rose Hall via the Resort for a Day website. We usually book at least one day through resort for a day because we believe the value is always a good deal for what you get. My son and I did book our Grand Cayman excursion through Carnival - we did the "Stingray City/Tiki Beach" excursion and had a great time swimming with the stingrays. This is a great excursion for kids but the "Tiki Beach" was crowded and we had to rent an umbrella for $10. Watershoes were required in order to swim in the water because the bottom was too rocky so we left and went back to the ship. We did our own excursion in Cozumel and ended up snorkeling with locals very close to the ship. Note to self - book all excursions through the ship. Unfortunately, we booked a dive trip with an outfit in Cozumel and lost our deposit because the ship came in too late for us to go out and dive with them at 8:00 a.m. Because of this we have vowed to always book our excursions through the ship unless Resort for a day has a better offer in a port. We enjoyed each port but were underwhelmed with the quality and variety of items to purchase in Jamaica and ended up with just some coffee and jerk spice. I clearly didn't see any value in the items put up for sale in any of the ports. Overall this was a beautiful ship, the crew was wonderful, Mike the Cruise Director was outstanding. He was very visible throughout the entire cruise even on disembarkation he was there to bid us fairwell. Something we never experienced on other lines. We loved the Fun team at Bingo and didn't mind losing a few bucks. We will definitely be back again on the Breeze at some point and are recommending Carnival to our travel agent and all our friends with kids back home! It was a great value and everything about our trip was memorable. We had low or no expectations to be "wowed" by Carnival and we agree - Carnival far exceeded our expectations every step of the way. The Breeze is a beautiful ship with an outstanding dedicated crew. If you're lucky enough to sail on this ship and you can relax and lower your expectations before you even get on the boat, we guarantee you'll have a wonderful time. It has it's own feel and own vibe which is what makes it all the more special. It's not stuffy but is casually elegant in all the right places. We loved the Carnival Breeze and look forward to sailing her again some day!

Blast on the Breeze!!!