• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Review for Crown Princess to Alaska
RayW
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Aug 2016
Cabin: Oceanview (obstructed view)

Why did we take this cruise? 1. Window cabin was only about $40 more than the cheapest interior. 2. Wanted to see the glaciers, 3. Needed to burn some leave, and 4. Crown was a decent ship the last time we sailed on her.

Boarding and Disembarking - Only have Los Angeles and Seattle to compare with, but while LA was a shorter drive from the airport, Seattle was a much smoother boarding experience and the customs was much faster leaving. And the two (Princess contract) bus drivers we had acted like tour guides, made for a very fun experience.

Ship good - Very friendly staff, one example - drink server asks if I want a drink, I say no, they ask "Would you like some water", I say please, and with a smile they say OK, and I get the clean cold water just like I had ordered a drink (Note: they do not make any money off of water, so that is just being nice for them). I have been on cruises where that is not what happens.

Oceanview (obstructed view)

Cabin OZ

One of the better room stewards on this trip, put the bags in the room, did not have to be asked to do things like furnish robes, was much faster than average on room cleanup when the clean room sign was used, the second time I have tipped extra. This is called a fully obstructed view, but the life boat in front of us was one with a lower front that only came up to the bottom of the window, so we could look out at the water and distant scenes. The bad was the theater, the heavy duty speakers are just across the hall, and you can hear and feel them. Not bad unless you are an early to bed or daytime napping typing. One other issue, the side thrusters and the stabilizers are near here and you can hear them when they are powered, not too bad but some folks may be bothered. Mattresses are getting old, you can see the body curves when the bed is made. Still comfortable, but not for long.

Port Reviews

Juneau

Walked around town, bought a gallon of water at a grocery store, went to the state museum and paid $12 for about 3 hours, left when I got hungry and had some light rain to walk back to the ship in.

Ketchikan

Not enough time in port here. Walked up to the north, but it was a cloudy day.

4 Helpful Votes