Embarkation was so easy in Seattle. Literally walk on at noon and head for a great lunch outside. Rooms were not ready until 3 PM. Little did I know that would be the last time I would enjoy food out of doors. The next morning we got up at 6 AM to enjoy the passage through the Seymour Narrows then an hour later the fog rolled in. We didn't see the sun again for a week. The food in the 2 specialty restaurants is always exceptional but to our surprise the MDR was fantastic too. We have been on the Marina 3 times and they could take some lessons from the Regatta. Sadly on the buffet, its the other way around. Mediocre at best and with the inclement weather, far to often seats were impossible to find. I loved our cabin, #7007. I signed up only 6 weeks before departure because of the unbelievable low price I was offered and this room was still available. It is an extra large OV with more inside sq. ft. than the balconies. Balconies can be a waste on cold weather cruises as we found out on the QM2 a few years ago. The R-Boats all have that cramped little bathroom so no surprise there. Oceania also has the most comfortable beds in the industry. The rest of the ship seems a little dark. It reminds me of the old Queen Mary in Long Beach. Almost haunted in spots. Entertainment on small ships is often a challenge but we found the comedian did a great job in his 2 shows. Not much else interested us. Most shore excursions were very expensive but Alaska is not cheap. Oceania does tend to treat their customers like cash cows when it comes to drinks and shore excursions. We did go on a helicopter trip to Meade Glacier for $269 each which did seem semi-reasonable but some others were 4 times the price of booking it yourself. Sitka was our favourite port and we used Google to see twice as much at one fifth of the cost. The rain held off until just before we weighed anchor. To be fair to the Regatta, they lost one star because of the weather but that was part of the cruise. Getting off in Vancouver was great until you realized 2 other ships were in port. However what a fantastic port Vancouver has become. Too bad for people who bought expensive transfers to the airport. The airport train is right beside the pier (200 yards) and is less than $3. It was a surprised to see children on an Oceania cruise in some numbers. I applaud their parents on how well their kids behaved. So back to the Riviera on January 3rd out of Miami to Barbados and back. If you like fine dining the Oceania is for you.

We've Been to Alaska Before but Never Got This Wet

Regatta Cruise Review by Rotenmutts

• Sail Date: August 2016
  • Destination: Alaska

Rotenmutts’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Regatta price drops

• Helicopter Tour
    This was the highlight of the trip. A real iffy day but the pilot was competent and very informative and the scenic views truly awesome. After landing on the glacier the guides were great too. Downside, was the pouring COLD rain which started 30 minutes after landing
    View All 61 Helicopter Tour Reviews