3. Viking Atla
So, the sad thing is that I know Viking wants to be the best in the business. But, they did not deliver what I purchased - a river cruise. A long-anticipated and saved-for vacation dream turned into a nightmare of long daily bus rides less than halfway through the trip. So, the great food and great service didn't matter anymore. Since both the problems we encountered seemed avoidable to me*, and Viking's response to a ruined trip was to offer a discount if I spent more money on another trip (that might be just as disastrous), I cannot recommend this for your vacation cruise dream. (*Here's what happened to stop the river travel: First, Viking took a day of our trip to stop and repair some part of the engine that they knew about before the trip began. Then, a light rain in Passau caused the river to rise. Apparently their boats are built too tall to fit under a bridge if the river rises.) Here are things that went well and I would look for in another tour company: Embarkation was a breeze in Budapest, Hungary. Budapest tour was very good and the night tour was beautiful. The French balcony cabin is delightful - highly recommend the extra expense to get the full window. The intimate group of passengers and the open seating worked well to mix up people and ensure familiar faces everywhere you went. The walking tours were fine, but were rushed and shortened due to our bussing situation. The staff was exemplary and asked that we separate their service ratings from our overall unhappiness ratings! The food was fabulous, but we had to eat lunch in restaurants several days because the boat was miles away.

Not What I Anticipated

Viking Atla Cruise Review by karbiter

• Sail Date: July 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: French Balcony

Here are things that went well and I would look for in another tour company:

karbiter’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Atla price drops

French Balcony
Cabin D 206
The French balcony cabin is delightful - I highly recommend the extra expense to get the full window.
Middle Deck Balcony Cabins

• Budapest
    Budapest is a wonderful city - two cities - with so much to see and do. We spent three days before boarding our boat and still had more we wanted to see and do. The architecture and atmosphere of old Europe was endearing and fascinating. We especially loved the Opera House where you can see a show for a VERY reasonable cost and marvel at the opulent beauty of the building.
    View All 369 Budapest Cruise Port Reviews