Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review
1,369 Reviews

Do Not Cruise The Sunshine!!!

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by mc12573

• Sail Date: Aug 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Worst cruise experience ever! We booked this cruise on the Sunshine because we had a great cruise on the Conquest last November. I can't believe the difference between the two ships.

1. Food was terrible. Chicken can be compared to warm(and sometimes cold) rubber. Fish was slimy and under cooked.

2. Towels and sheets were dirty even after having the room cleaned.

3. Smell of cigarette smoke on the entire 5th floor and portions of the 4th, 6th and 7th.

4. Marijuana smell coming directly through the supply vent in our room.

5. No more mini fridges in rooms.

6. Broken drawers and cabinets. The hardware from one of the drawers broke and the drawer(heavy and full of clothes) fell on my wife's foot leaving a bruise. We complained but the drawer was never fixed.

7. The drainage at the perimeter of the 9th, 10th and upper floors is clogged. When it rained, all of the decks flooded with approximately an inch of water. Water also leaked into the dining room on top of our table.

8. Exhaust fans in toilet rooms do not function properly. You can smell feces in some areas of the corridors all throughout the ship. It was nauseating.

9. The galley was not updated when this ship was remodeled. The crew members told us that this is the worst ship they have ever worked on.

10. One of the security crew named "Dupesh" almost let my wife pass out due to low blood sugar. On our way back onto the boat from St. Thomas, she was feeling dizzy and started to swagger. I asked a crew member for some orange juice or sugar. She led us to the security checkpoint where "Dupesh" would not let me run to the 3rd floor bar to get her juice. I tried to explain that I would leave the bags and come back later since my wife was ready to faint. He said "no" and became extremely nasty. He ripped my sign and sail card out of my hand to document my name and information. No medical attention was offered and I had to carry my wife up 3 flights of stairs to get her orange juice. I complained to the front desk and basically was told "well sir, there is nothing I can do since I do not have a medical degree." I gave up at this point.

11. The passengers on the ship were running through the corridors yelling and slamming doors until 5 a.m. After complaining it stopped....for about 10 minutes and then the running and yelling continued throughout the night. I did not sleep for the last 2 days on the ship.

12. The passengers on the ship we also carrying around portable speakers and blasting terrible rap music in every area of the ship including the serenity pool where children were not allowed to be. The children were also running laps around the deck and doing cannonballs in every pool including the serenity pool. Of course we complained, and it stopped for a few minutes, but just continued shortly after the complaint.

13. There was a fire on deck 5 because someone threw a cigar off the 8th floor and it landed in someone's room.

14. It was impossible to get a lounge chair anywhere on the deck after 10:00 a.m. The ship can not accommodate the number of passengers.

15. We chose to carry our luggage off the ship since it would get us off faster. We had a debarkation time of 9:15. We did not disembark until 11:30. Despite the clear instructions given to us over the loud speaker, the passengers were incapable of following them and over crowding the lobby and gangway. Passengers from deck 8 were trying to get off with deck 3 etc. We were honestly surrounded by a taxing array of idiocy for nine days. I am honestly now dumber for having endured this cruise.

We have several other complaints and terrible experiences but I think this sums it up. We called Carnival yesterday to complain and try to cancel the cruise we have booked for June on the Sunshine. In light of our terrible experiences, they are unwilling(so far) to refund our $1,400.00 down payment for the cruise we want to cancel. We have to call again on Tuesday. I hope we are refunded as I can not bring my wife and children back to such a horrible environment.

mc12573's Full Rating Summary