3. Independence of the Seas
We chose this cruise because we wanted our grandchildren to have a great time. They did. We less so. We had been on IoS on an Atlantic when the ship was two years old and enjoyed it. We knew August would be kids' central, which was why we chose to go. No complaints there. Brilliant facilities. I could go-on about the lack of parental responsibility but that isn't RCCL's job, though Security could have been much tougher. Nothing seemed out-of-bounds and nobody from the staff cared. My perspective is from that of a suite dweller. You might think "rich" but it's just the way we have chosen to spend what's left of our children's and grandchildren's inheritance! Our previous cruise was in a similar suite on Celebrity, sister company to RCCL. On Celebrity we were greeted in our cabin by a bottle of fizz. Had free drinks in the fridge. Unlimited speciality dining (though we think that is overrated on most ships). A suite restaurant and a private club where you could drink whatever you wanted all day FOC. In the cabin we had slippers, real flowers, two TVs and, as my wife points-out, shower caps and a container of cotton buds. None of that in the Owner's Suite on IoS except for two cotton buds - replaced daily! There is a Concierge lounge on IoS that offers nice canapes and cheap (as in brands) FOC each evening. I could go-on but I'm sure you get the picture. If you take kids IoS is great. If you don't then IoS might be great unless you book a suite. Food in the MDR was consistently good; The Windjammer also though again not quite such a wide selection as on Celebrity. Excellent production shows - Grease was amazing - and of course the stars really glittered on the ice rink. Staff were efficient, especially our cabin attendant Marian and Cheryl in the MDR, but the bar tenders didn't smile much and one closed the shutters while I was waiting to be served: "Sorry it's six-o-clock". IoS is looking a little tired; nothing serious. Maybe I'm unfairly comparing it with more modern vessels. In conclusion, other RCCL ships offer better suite facilities, I understand. Pity the suite guests on IoS and possibly other vessels of that class are poor relations.

Will probably sail Celebrity next time - unless we have the kids!

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Balloon Man

Balloon Man’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Get Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas price drops

Owner's Suite - 1 Bedroom
Cabin OS 1350
A suite that doesn't have a separate bedroom isn't a suite. Many glass fronted cupboards that you felt once-upon-a-time might have held glasses, cocktail shakers or whatever.

Slightly faded but spacious. A single cabin attendant had to deal with everything. He was good but looked tired.

Air conditioning could have been quieter.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins