Insignia Cruise Review

Insignia Cruise Review by kathy9

• Sail Date: Jul 2016
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom

We have are a couple in our 60's who have sailed on many prior cruises. This was our first Oceania cruise. We have been on Celebrity "M" class ships, HAL, Windstar, Viking Oceans and Azamara.

We choose to take the air credit from Oceania and booked our own air. We arrived in Stockholm three days prior to embarkation. Stayed at the incredible Grand Hotel. We loved Stockholm.

Embarkation was very easy. Arrived at the pier at 1200 via taxi, checked in and on board with in minutes. Of course our Concierge state room on deck 7 was not ready. We went to the Terrace Café. Our stateroom was ready before 300 pm. A typical "R" class ship cabin. Adequate storage, small bathroom and very comfortable bed. Very nice Bvlgari Blue Tea products.

We had an amazing room steward Suresh and his equally amazing assistant Luzel.

Our stateroom was kept clean, mini fridge stocked with Coke Zero and seltzer.

We did not care for the food at the Terrace Café at all.The food we were served was often cold. I order pancakes and they had to be cooked in the kichen and by the time were served they were cold. My DH had the same experience with an egg order. Plus no waffle station. The ambiance was nice and plenty of waitstaff.

We much preferred to eat breakfast at the Grand Dining Room, wonderful service and food.

We had lunch a few times at Waves Grill. Very good hambugers, hot dogs.and a so so veggie burger and of course ice cream!

Our favorite was the Grand Dining Room. The most amazing maître d Mercy. What a lovely person she is and a wonderful asset to Oceania!

Wonderful food in the GDR and amazing service but two waiters really stood out Walter and Andy. Of course the very efficient assistant head waiter Ronaldo.

Toscana also had an amazing maître d, but I did not get his name. We had two lovely meals here. We had opted to share our table and enjoyed the experice each time.

The Polo Grill was also very good, the wait staff did not seem to be on the same level as Toscana though.

We loved Baristas on deck five, always went for a Cappuccino after touring and a cookie or two.Very good service.

We attended two afternoon teas.The cupcake and cheesecake teas. ( this was my five pound weight gain) Both were lovely with the violin quartet playing.

We did not attend any of the shows, preferring to eat late.

We did see the Cruise Director Shawn all about the ship and he was always very personable.

We did not see the Captain or Senior Officers around.

My DH won a personal training session which he attended and he also bought another session. I had two wonderful massages. A little more pricey than other cruise lines but they also did not try and hard sell you products which was nice. Very nice spa area and gym.

The service onboard was excellent. Everyone was very professional and always smiling.

A wonderful asset to Oceania is ship's houskeeper Jhourna Lee.I would see this young lady all over the ship cleaning and she was always so pleasant.

Included free WIFI did not work very well at times. Also the one device sign in at a time per cabin was a bit of a hassle.

My one pet peeve with cruise which really I don't understand was in the last issue of Currents there was a small paragraph stating the your room attendant would be collecting your robes at turndown service! We had never had this happen on any cruise ever.

Was Oceania afraid I was going to steal their robe? Did they want me to parade around in the nude? I requested a a call from the Hotel Director to dicuss this very strange and tacky request. Well he did not return my call. Is this what they do on NCL?

A real turn off for me. Am I not a guest for the entire cruise entitled to use the towels, sleep in the bed.....wear the robe? Our wonderful cabin steward left the robes in our cabin....

We have mixed feelings about sailing on Oceania again. The food was much better than Azamara in our opinion. We love the R class ship's, but this silly robe thing turned me off.

We had booked O life excursions and I also booked private tours using CC and TripAdvisor.

Helsink O life excursion Harbor boat ride and a framer's/craft market.

Saint Petersberg I booked a private tour for two with Best Guides for both days. Wonderful tour. You must not miss Peterhof if you visit this port.

Tallinn Also a private tour with Best Guides. This time there were six of us. Very good tour. Loved Tallinn.

Gdansk I booked a private tour with Joanna at Trip 2 Gdansk . Wonderful tour.

Hamburg We went to Bremer on an O life excursion...way too many people. The local guide actually left several of us at the WC as she rushed on.

Rotterdam We went to Gouda. Much smaller group. A good tour for a ship's tour.

Antwerp We went to Ghent on an O excursion Good guide smaller group ....Belgian Chocolates.....need I say more!

Disembarkation was a breeze. The usual no room service coffee We had a wonderful (blueberry pancakes) goodbye breakfast at the Grand Dining Room. Off the ship at 0900 am. Found our bags easily. Plenty of porters. We had hired a private taxi to take us to London and off we went.

kathy9's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom
Cabin A3 7096

Typical "R" class ship cabin. Small bathroom, small shower adequate for an eleven day cruise.

Bed was very comfortable.

Bused to harbor, boarded a rather larger boat with two buses of O passengers. Good narrative and interesting highlights.

Local farmer's market/craft market on shore.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

Excellent private tour for two days with Best Guides. Good pre tour communications, payment of second day. Flexibility with tour. Excellent guide and driver.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

Another excellent tour with Best Guides. Six people on tour. Good guide. Loved Tallinn.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

Excellent private tour with Joanna. Great driver also. So much history. Loved the Oliwa Cathedral. Got to hear the amazing pipe organ.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

This ship's tour was a typical ship's tour to me. Too many people. Local guide rushed off and left some of us at the WC. Beautiful old city.

Gouda Walking Tour

Even though this was a ship's tour we were split into smaller groups. Very good guide. Enjoyed the tour.

View All 15 Gouda Walking Tour Reviews

Ship's tour. We were split into smaller groups. Very good guide. Belgian Chocolate making!

Stockholm

Loved Stockholm. Stayed at the fabulous Grand Hotel. Spent a lot of time in the Old City.

Took the Hop On Hop Off boat. and walked!

kathy9