3. Viking Heimdal
This was the second cruise my wife and I have taken with Viking, the first one being the Danube 4 years ago and this one certainly matched, if not bettered the first. From the moment you step on board the service from the staff is first class and that standard never slipped throughout the week. One of my major concerns was how I would be treated in respect of my gluten free diet. I need not have worried. After introducing myself to the female maître di and waiters at the first dinner, they recognized me at each meal time and were excellent at providing gluten free bread, specially prepared breakfasts such as French toast and pancakes and overall were just so knowledgeable and keen to get things just right. If you are coeliac you will understand how important it is to have that peace of mind on holiday. The only part of cruising which we couldn't undertake was the first short trip on the Saone river to Macon as the water levels were too high. As it turned out we went by coach to the vineyard travelling through amazing countryside and was probably more scenic than being on the boat. It also meant we spent a little bit longer in Lyon which is a beautiful historic city to explore on foot. The entertainment manager Christine was on top of her game - a real people person with a wicked sense of humour and all the other staff were extremely friendly and efficient. There are a lot of optional excursions on this cruise so you will never be without something to do or you can remain on the boat and chill out as we often did. The only downside of our trip was due to a late flight home, still being on board ship when the next lucky passengers arrived to start their week, we did think about trying to stowaway! All in all I would highly recommend this cruise, obviously try and pick the time of year when the rivers are less likely to be too high (or even too low) which can be difficult but if you are lucky as we were it is a very enjoyable experience.

Superb Viking standards